The first round of candidates for local superintendent includes a Hamilton County deputy superintendent, the director of the Knox County Schools system and candidates from Texas, Georgia and Delaware.
The six choices were selected Thursday during a meeting of the superintendent advisory committee and the Ohio firm hired to head the search to replace Dr. Jesse Register, who retires this June.
The candidates are:
* Bruce Harter, superintendent of Brandywine School District in Claymont, Del.
* Charles Lindsey, Knox County Schools superintendent.
* Michael Martin, schools superintendent of Putnam County Schools, Tenn.
* Jim Scales, deputy superintendent of Dallas (Texas) Independent School District.
* Rick Smith, deputy superintendent of Hamilton County Schools.
* Steve Wilmoth, schools superintendent in Liberty County, Ga.
The advisory committee, which was appointed by the Hamilton County Board of Education, will interview the candidates Friday and Saturday. The committee will select three finalists on Saturday to recommend to the board. Board members plan to interview the remaining candidates on March 10 and 11 and identify the finalist at the March 16 regular school board meeting. The board hopes to appoint Dr. Registers replacement at the April 20 meeting.
The meetings, open to the public, will be held at the school district central office at 6703 Bonny Oaks Drive. The schedule is: Today from 5-9:45 p.m., Saturday from 7:45 a.m. to 6 p.m., March 10 from 6-8 p.m., and March 11 from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.