published Saturday, March 27th, 2010

The Press Release

about Clay Bennett...

The son of a career army officer, Bennett led a nomadic life, attending ten different schools before graduating in 1980 from the University of North Alabama with degrees in Art and History. After brief stints as a staff artist at the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette and the Fayetteville (NC) Times, he went on to serve as the editorial cartoonist for the St. Petersburg Times (1981-1994) and The Christian Science Monitor (1997-2007), before joining the staff of the ...

41
Comments do not represent the opinions of the Chattanooga Times Free Press, nor does it review every comment. Profanities, slurs and libelous remarks are prohibited. For more information you can view our Terms & Conditions and/or Ethics policy.
SCOTTYM said...

That's just the rattlesnake shaking his tail to let those who disregard the Constitution know that they've gone too far.

Call it a friendly warning.(h/t MV)III

A little destruction of property is small beans compared to what comes next.

The statists may ignore the warning at their own peril.

This country was born in a spasm of violence against tyranny perpetrated by a minority of the population. It can happen again.

March 27, 2010 at 2:22 a.m.
alprova said...

As humorous as it has been to watch, it has also been a little painful to observe Tea-Party activists as they have evolved from a rather impressive group of people proclaiming to be patriots of our nation, to that of a dwindling group of thugs who have become politically impotent.

Tea-Partiers, along with the many Republicans who reluctantly welcomed them as political allies, spent weeks dancing on what they though was health care reform's grave. They mocked the Democrats for their inability to pass health care reform. Last Saturday, Tea-Partiers demonstrated their intelligence by verbally assaulting Representatives with racial epithets, homophobic slurs, and with spittle in one case.

Who are these people? Tea Party supporters are likely to be older, white and male. Forty percent are age 55 and over, 79 percent are white, and 61 percent are men. Many are also Christian fundamentalists, with 44 percent identifying themselves as "born-again."

Tea-Partiers have been convinced, by themselves no less, that they represent the majority of Americans. Limbaugh, Beck, Hannity, and other right-wing talk show hosts did their level best to convince their viewers and listeners that Tea-Partiers were mainstream America.

What a let-down it must have been to come to the realization that Tea-Partiers have been existing in an echo chamber the size of the Grand Canyon. Anger and acts resulting from anger are what people resort to when their objections or suggestions are overridden, rejected, and deemed irrelevant. And that right there is what has these people hacked off to no end. They have been overridden, rejected, and deemed irrelevant.

When you have right-wing spokesmen like Rush Limbaugh lowering himself to bash children on the air -- mocking a motherless 11-year-old boy who's crime was to speak out in favor of health care reform, then overriding objections, rejecting ideals, and dismissing some people as being rather irrelevant comes very easy.

Limbaugh's diatribe included this classic line: "Your mom would have still died, because Obamacare doesn't kick in until 2014."

Republicans and their splinter-groups are acting as if enough time has passed since their power was firmly reduced, and that people have completely forgotten the broken promises, the coddling of Corporate America, and two decades of pork drippings offered to the working class, culminating in a near-repeat of the Great Depression.

The GOP are firmly convinced that they are poised for a return to power. According to right-wing media sponsored polls, "America" wants them back in power. They are as convinced of this as the Tea-Partiers were convinced that they could derail health care reform.

If they are so angry over their failure to derail a piece of legislation today, imagine how angry these people will be when they fail to take control of the House and Senate towards the end of this year.

March 27, 2010 at 2:24 a.m.
alprova said...

Scotty wrote: "That's just the rattlesnake shaking his tail to let those who disregard the Constitution know that they've gone too far."

Scotty, you of all people should know that nothing passed will ever be found to be unconstitutional.

"A little destruction of property is small beans compared to what comes next."

I'm quaking in my tennis shoes.

"The statists may ignore the warning at their own peril."

Yawn....

"This country was born in a spasm of violence against tyranny perpetrated by a minority of the population. It can happen again."

Do you really think so?

First of all, you would have to be a part of some majority that agrees with you, and there is absolutely no evidence that you are in that position.

The thought that all of about 600 senior citizens, who represent the core of what may be left of the Tea-Party, are threatening to form a Militia, is more than hysterical.

My goodness, many of you folks couldn't afford to pony up the dough to pay to hear Sarah Palin deliver a speech that was hand-written on her left palm. Where are you going to get the money to fund a war?

Hey, don't get me wrong. I'd join ya' just for the entertainment factor, but I'm too worried about who may get the boot on American Idol next week, and I'm fresh out of VHS tapes.

March 27, 2010 at 2:43 a.m.
SCOTTYM said...

al,

Nice diatribe.

"Tea-Partiers demonstrated their intelligence by verbally assaulting Representatives with racial epithets, homophobic slurs, and with spittle in one case."

Evidence please. I'm sure you can find some, there were video cameras everywhere. BTW, one person's accusation does not constitute proof, no matter how much the leftist media repeats that accusation.

"Who are these people? Sixty percent are under age 55, 21 percent are non-white, and 39 percent are women. Some are also Christian fundamentalists, though 66 percent do not identify themselves as "born-again."

Reverse spin. LOL. Looks a lot more like mainstream America when the ageist, racist, sexist, and anti-religion spin neutered.

Rush is what he is, though not nearly as offensive as some of the commentators on the left.

"Do you really think so?"

It only took 3% of the population of colonial America to defeat the greatest power on Earth at that time.

3% of today's population would be ~10 million folks. Our military can't seem to defeat a few tens of thousands of jihadis in the middle east. Do you really think many of them would disregard their oaths and fire on their own people?

"Where are you going to get the money to fund a war?"

Well that could be a problem, if the implements were not already at hand.

Keep laughing all you want. This is no joke.

March 27, 2010 at 3:19 a.m.
JohnnyRingo said...

Clay Bennett can put more commentary in a single panel than I could possibly sit here and type. Therefore, I can think of nothing to add. Point well taken.

March 27, 2010 at 5:25 a.m.
EaTn said...

There is and always has been a small part of our society that love to gather, be semi-anonymous and let mob-frenzy take control. Lots of luck to the Tea Party officials who may try to distance themselves from any of this. I for one wish the Tea Party well since their endeavors will ultimately benefit the Democratic Party.

March 27, 2010 at 5:32 a.m.
AndrewLohr said...

alprova, Scott Brown won, eh? Gingrich won in 1994 (and his Congress balanced the budged, which is more than can be said for any Congress of Democrats since...you do the research; it's been 40 years at least). And it may not be found unconstitutional, but is it constitutional? Does Congress have any more authority to set up national health care than to set up a national religion? Read Article 1 and amendments 9 and 10. 'Health care' supporters tend to be middle-aged married men who like to hold non-dry parties with young unmarried women, disappear with them, and the lady turns up dead the next morning? That really happened with Teddy Kennedy at Chappaquiddick, so beware of your fellow trvelers? If one in 20 (WGOW Jeff's estimate--you rarely cite sources) of Tea Partiers deserves this cartoon, the other 95% don't. False witness is sin. Repent.
Youtube song: "Are we better off now than we were two years ago?"

March 27, 2010 at 6:01 a.m.
woody said...

Scotty..Al..go to your corners and wait for the bell. When it rings I want to see a clean fight, and no hitting below the belt.

Amen, to you JohnnyR!

And in answer to Andrew. Yes we are.

I get so mad when I think of what that imitation of a president did to and in the name of this country I want to do something really drastic...like banning the letter "W"!!

Your friend, oody

March 27, 2010 at 6:29 a.m.

The true test would be interesting . Split the country in half, Liberals get the Western half, Conservatives get the East. After a while liberals would want to reconcile because they would have nowhere to get their handouts. Bottom line: the Liberal Leeches need the host Conservatives to survive.

March 27, 2010 at 7:29 a.m.
Clara said...

I just got this in the mail and thought it appropriate to post here. It came from a neighbor!

Really important! Hope you all do it!

This will take less than thirty seconds to read. If you agree, please pass it on.

An idea whose time has come

For too long we have been too complacent about the workings of Congress. Many citizens had no idea that members of Congress could retire with the same pay after only one term, that they didn't pay into Social Security, that they specifically exempted themselves from many of the laws they have passed (such as being exempt from any fear of prosecution for sexual harassment) while ordinary citizens must live under those laws. The latest is to exempt themselves from the Healthcare Reform that is being considered...in all of its forms. Somehow, that doesn't seem logical. We do not have an elite that is above the law. I truly don't care if they are Democrat, Republican, Independent or whatever. The self-serving must stop. This is a good way to do that. It is an idea whose time has come.

Have each person contact a minimum of Twenty people on their Address list, in turn ask each of those to do likewise.

In three days, most people in The United States of America will have the message. This is one proposal that really should be passed around.

   Proposed 28th Amendment to the United States Constitution

"Congress shall make no law that applies to the citizens of the United States that does not apply equally to the Senators and/or Representatives; and, Congress shall make no law that applies to the Senators and/or Representatives that does not apply equally to the citizens of the United States ."

March 27, 2010 at 7:51 a.m.
lkeithlu said...

The Tea Party may have had honorable beginnings, but unless they denounce the kind of behavior that has been exhibited in the last few days, whether by members or not, they will be known only as lawless thugs. This is what happens when you applaud the vitriol of Beck and Limbaugh, making them your de facto mouthpieces.

I've seen kids get expelled from school for doing the cross-hairs thing that Palin allegedly did on facebook.

March 27, 2010 at 8:16 a.m.
OllieH said...

AndrewLohr aks, ""Are we better off now than we were two years ago?"

Undoubtedly- yes!

Although the full effects of health care reform will not be felt until 2014, at least it's now in the works. Thanks to this legislation, there will be 30-odd million people who'll have access to health insurance who don't have it now. The rest of us will be protected against the abuses of the current insurance system of huge premium hikes, denied policies and canceled coverage.

As for the economy, well, two years ago, we were just months away from a financial collapse that nearly upended our economy. Although the safeguards are still not in place to prevent a similar event from occurring, the government is currently trying to pass financial reform that might make it less likely. If we can put together some real reforms- reform that eliminate the conflict of interests that now exist in the banking industry, reforms that outlaw many of the irresponsible risks and financial structure of investment brokerages, and reform that sees too big to fail as simply too big- then yes, we will be much better off than we were two years ago.

I would say we're much better off now to have an energy policy that's based on real science and innovation, rather than the one from two years ago that simply perpetuated the status quo, and had us leaning on the same dependences and addictions.

We're also better off to be considering new solutions to the education of our kids and not wasting another single minute following the failed policies of 'no child left behind'.

Unlike two years ago, we now have a Justice Department that realizes it has a civil rights division, and is interested in serving the interests of justice instead of merely settling political scores. We have stronger anti-discrimination laws, thanks to the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Restoration Act. And, of course, we are much better off to be finally abandoning discrimination against gays and lesbians in the US military.

So yes, AndrewLohr, I'd say we ARE better off than we were two years ago... FAR better.

March 27, 2010 at 9:37 a.m.
SeaSmokie59er said...

Wouldn't it be easier for the Tea-Partiers to just vote?

March 27, 2010 at 9:55 a.m.
tnmoman said...

Unless you are a part of the Marxist regime of the poor excuse of a President you aren't allowed to express a negative opinion of their Socialist agenda. Conservatives have learned to live with threats for years. The only way the Democrats can get anything done is with Chicago style arm twisting back room deals. Please, it sounds like the pot calling the kettle black. Get real. We will bide our time for now and use the best tool at our disposal to get rid of these anti-American radicals, VOTES. Violence gets you nowhere unless it is a combat situation. God bless America.

March 27, 2010 at 10:56 a.m.
Oz said...

Liberals use to say, Question Authority. Now they say, Don't Question Us. They are the most inclusive people in the world until you disagree with them.

March 27, 2010 at 12:24 p.m.
woody said...

Applause, Clara, applause...now there is an amendment I could get behind.

And, Cleveland, Inmoman, et al, be glad you have the Liberals to take your frustrations out on. Otherwise, you would not only have to "wake up and smell the coffee", you'd also have to pour it yourself.

I think I'll give ole' "W" one more chance (but only the letter), Woody

March 27, 2010 at 12:42 p.m.
alprova said...

Scotty wrote: "Evidence please. I'm sure you can find some, there were video cameras everywhere. BTW, one person's accusation does not constitute proof, no matter how much the leftist media repeats that accusation."

But of course. Immediate denials were issued, along with denouncements of such behavior even though they believe it never happened, all despite the fact that SEVERAL people witnessed and reported the verbal assaults.

Evidence? The incidents were reported in every paper in this nation and on every mainstream media site on the web.

I KNEW you were going to be the person who would pipe up to defend those classless idiots who were in Washington last Saturday.

"It only took 3% of the population of colonial America to defeat the greatest power on Earth at that time."

You wouldn't be exaggerating things just a wee bit, would you? Of course not.

"3% of today's population would be ~10 million folks."

That's a little off, but what's your point? There is no evidence whatsoever that there are more than 15,000 Tea-Partiers, at best.

"Well that could be a problem, if the implements were not already at hand."

Tea-Partiers are not the only people in this nation who have firearms, but then most people have them on hand for self-defense.

"Keep laughing all you want. This is no joke."

Yes it is.

You're free to hold any opinion on earth, but I caution you to be VERY careful what you type. You have already posted what could easily be determined to be threats of violence in a public forum.

March 27, 2010 at 1:03 p.m.
alprova said...

AndrewLohr wrote: "alprova, Scott Brown won, eh?"

You right leaning folks still can't see that for what it truly is and why it is. Mark my word. That man will jump the fence and will become a Democrat the minute that it looks as if he will not be re-elected as a Republican.

"And it [the health care bill, now signed into law] may not be found unconstitutional, but is it constitutional? Does Congress have any more authority to set up national health care than to set up a national religion? Read Article 1 and amendments 9 and 10."

Ah...but setting up a national religion is expressly prohibited by the Constitution. Try another argument.

"If one in 20 (WGOW Jeff's estimate--you rarely cite sources) of Tea Partiers deserves this cartoon, the other 95% don't."

Jeff Styles is hardly a credible source of information. I'm a Fred Head too, but I am a realist, first and foremost.

5% of any group that is allowed to continue to represent them so negatively is nothing short of a rubber stamp of approval, in my opinion.

And it's not as if there have not been several incidents that have taken place, painting a picture of the Tea-Partiers as a group that are disorganized, disruptive, disconnected, and disrespectful.

"Are we better off now than we were two years ago?"

Well I don't know about "we," but I am mot certainly better off that I was two years ago.

Today, I am writing the largest check to the IRS that I have written in 6 years, and I am happy as can be that I am. It tells me one thing: I made more money than I have made in the past six years.

I hope I write an even larger check next year.

March 27, 2010 at 1:24 p.m.
miraweb said...

Interesting poll by Gallup on reactions to the health care bill's passage. An interesting finding was respondents self-identifying as Republicans were twice as likely to be "angry" than independents and 20 times more likely to be "angry" than Democrats. 8% really don't care. 49% saw the bill as a "good thing" and 40% as a "bad thing."

http://www.gallup.com/poll/126929/Slim-Margin-Americans-Support-Healthcare-Bill-Passage.aspx

March 27, 2010 at 2:31 p.m.
Jhenry said...

According to Alprova: Last Saturday, Tea-Partiers demonstrated their intelligence by verbally assaulting Representatives with racial epithets, homophobic slurs, and with spittle in one case.

Really? Wheres the proof? In this day of pocket sized cameras and cell phones with video you'd think one person would have captured this happening. But they didn't. Jesse Jackson, Jr. is not what I'd call a credible source either. Saying it doesn't make it so Alprova.

March 27, 2010 at 5:38 p.m.
miraweb said...

A Politico reporter confirmed hearing the Barney Frank incident. The other reported incident occurred inside the halls of Congress, not on the street where some people were checking out a video.

In some ways I am happier to see people shocked and denying that their compadres could have been involved in such schoolyard hate behavior than I am when I hear folks say it was no big deal or it was OK because it was just "a few nutcases."

The Tea Party has the choice to be a movement or a mob. Throwing bricks when you lose a vote doesn't help people see you as solving important problems.

What happened last week may have hurt their cause more than helped it. It certainly gave me a bad impression of the group.

Politico: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0310/34765.html

March 27, 2010 at 6:06 p.m.
Sailorman said...

miraweb

"What happened last week may have hurt their cause more than helped it. It certainly gave me a bad impression of the group."

I'm sure it did hurt the cause if for no other reason than the relentless pounding by the media. I would have thought you more reasonable. A few ignorant criminals in a crowd that size is almost a statistical certainty. They no more represent the cause than Code Pink represents all those who protest the Iraq war.

If they can be found, they should be arrested - along with crazies leaving the phone messages screaming at republican representatives.

March 27, 2010 at 6:22 p.m.
SCOTTYM said...

al,

You still haven't posted any proof of racial or sexual insults, just more blather about "so and so said so".

Give me a break. There were video cameras everywhere, and not one caught the alleged incident. The accusation may stand up in the court of public opinion where vacuous idiots believe whatever the leftist media tells them, but it would be tossed out of a court of law in a instant.

I'm not sure why you think I'd defend anyone who is a bigot, as I've spoken out repeatedly against such ignorant behavior. I will, however, defend those who are, as any thinking person can deduce, very likely being falsely accused of such behavior simply because they do not toe the Marxist party line and must be discredited by any means possible.

"You wouldn't be exaggerating things just a wee bit, would you?"

You're the one who doesn't care about my little history lessons. I'm the one with piles of revolutionary era books strewn about the house. You wouldn't be speaking from ignorance, would you? Of course not.

"There is no evidence whatsoever that there are more than 15,000 Tea-Partiers, at best."

Yeah, the Tea partiers don't pay people to show up at rallies and rent buses to move those people around like the Marxists do. Of course, most Tea-party folks actually have jobs which precludes hanging out and singing Kumbaya, as well.

"You have already posted what could easily be determined to be threats of violence in a public forum."

Determined by whom, DHS, the F.B.I? They haven't shown up yet, and they won't either as I've done nothing of the sort.

You obviously have no idea what you are writing about. Here's a lesson.

If I wrote, "I'm going to do X to person Y!", then you'd be right, and the F.B.I. would beat a path to my door to have a little chat.

I've done nothing of the sort, and your ignorant ramblings about "caution" concerning my free speech is nothing more than Statist fantasies about the gestapo coming for those with whom you disagree.

I'm putting friendly little warnings out there that there are many people in this country who have been pushed to the limit, will take no more, and are prepared to die in the process.

If the current trajectory continues, people are going to get dead. The Statists in this country are playing with fire and they will get burned.

Now, go call DHS and the F.B.I. and send them to my house. I'm sure they can find me, and I'd have no problems wasting hours of their time chatting about the rise and fall of Statist regimes throughout history.

March 27, 2010 at 7:12 p.m.
Clara said...

I wish I could have gotten back to this post sooner.

I have to apologize for the comment I posted at 7:51 this morning, after a great lack of sleep.

I sincerely apologize. From a broad hint by another friend I am posting this URL from SNOPES.

I usually do check these mails. I think my emotional state about perks overrode my caution.

I sincerely regret the error, and am heartened by the support of some of you who felt as I do about congressional perks, and pay.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/medical/28thamendment.asp

One deeply embarrassed old lady.

March 27, 2010 at 7:35 p.m.
alprova said...

Jhenry wrote: "Really? Wheres the proof? In this day of pocket sized cameras and cell phones with video you'd think one person would have captured this happening. But they didn't. Jesse Jackson, Jr. is not what I'd call a credible source either. Saying it doesn't make it so Alprova."

And you saying that a lack of a video doesn't make it NOT so Jhenry.

Just so you know...there were more than a few WHITE people who witnessed the antics of that crowd. And let's not forget that this is the most recent in a long line of such antics that have exposed these people as being uncouth to the extreme. But this one didn't happen...right?

Please...

It happened and rather than to defend those clowns, you should denounce them or I stick to my original charge that you tea-bagging defenders are all a bunch of closet racists, hell bent on starting a new faction of the KKK.

Stick that in your peace pipe and smoke it.

March 27, 2010 at 7:41 p.m.
Sailorman said...

clara

Kind of you to apologize but not necessary. It would still be a great amendment!

Alprova

I see you've recovered your bout of good humor. Whatever meds you took to come down with it, please try them again.

March 27, 2010 at 7:58 p.m.
alprova said...

Scotty Wrote: "al,

You still haven't posted any proof of racial or sexual insults, just more blather about "so and so said so"."

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/03/tea-partiers-call-lewis-nr-frank-ft-at-capitol-hill-protest.php

He witnessed FIRST HAND the verbal attack on Barney Frank.

"You're the one who doesn't care about my little history lessons. I'm the one with piles of revolutionary era books strewn about the house."

No. I don't find your history lessons relevant to the year 2010. There's a big difference.

"Yeah, the Tea partiers don't pay people to show up at rallies and rent buses to move those people around like the Marxists do. Of course, most Tea-party folks actually have jobs which precludes hanging out and singing Kumbaya, as well."

Give the man a cookie for the most innovative explanation ever offered in a public forum as to why the numbers estimated for a politically motivated group do not pan out as claimed.

"You obviously have no idea what you are writing about."

Perhaps if you were to take the time to read what you have written, you might understand why I felt obliged to offer words of caution.

"...your ignorant ramblings about "caution" concerning my free speech is nothing more than Statist fantasies about the gestapo coming for those with whom you disagree."

Scott, not to hurt your feelings or anything, but you are as bothersome to me as a fly. I don't find any need to fantasize anyone taking you into custody to simply stop your silly comments.

That aside, feel free to post whatever you like. There are definitely people watching.

Making reckless statements to suggest that there are people possibly planning to band together to stand up to the U.S. Military, combined with the statement, "a little destruction of property is small beans compared to what comes next," tends to raise some eyebrows.

How do you know what is coming next, unless you are a part of some plan related to domestic terrorism? There are laws on the books that would allow law enforcement to seek you, throw the cuffs on you, and to question you for no less than 24 hours straight without access to a lawyer or a judge.

It's funny what some people think free speech allows them to say in what they determine to be anonymous settings.

"I'm putting friendly little warnings out there that there are many people in this country who have been pushed to the limit, will take no more, and are prepared to die in the process."

And what gives you so much insight into these so-called people?

"If the current trajectory continues, people are going to get dead. The Statists in this country are playing with fire and they will get burned."

Now you're talking like one of those people who flies planes into an IRS building.

Get a grip Scott.

March 27, 2010 at 8:16 p.m.
alprova said...

Sailorman wrote: "I see you've recovered your bout of good humor. Whatever meds you took to come down with it, please try them again."

Hey...I'm sorry, but there are some things that just need to be said. Defend the indefensible and I'll be here to denounce it.

If there are people out there who think that the aforementioned acts did not occur, then I think they need to cough up the proof that they didn't occur. I have in my corner, no less than 1,500 media outlets that reported the events of last Saturday, and contrary to popular belief, the vast majority of the media still takes care to print or post responsibly.

What reason on Earth would give cause for any of those men and the witnesses to those events to file false claims of such rude behavior? If there were any pattern by any of these men filing such claims in the past, I might be inclined to raise an eyebrow as well, but that is not the case, is it?

Unless these silent Tea-Partiers start speaking up and take action to eject those who make the entire group look bad, their group reputation is only going to slide farther downhill.

Look at what happened today in Phoenix, Arizona. One heckler who spoke up while the right-wing Queen was on stage stumping for John McCain, was ejected forcibly by the crowd, and rightfully so. Rude behavior is rude behavior and there is no right time and/or place for it.

A few thousand people show up to heckle our Representatives last Saturday, but for some inexplicable reason, some of you stand ready to defend these people who crossed a line that should never be crossed. That is an endorsement of their behavior in my opinion.

No one ejected them from the premises and no one pressed charges.

Perception is reality, and people are judged by the company they keep. Racism is alive and well and it is festering and growing among those who call themselves "Tea-Partiers."

March 27, 2010 at 9:03 p.m.
SCOTTYM said...

al,

"It happened and rather than to defend those clowns, you should denounce them or I stick to my original charge that you tea-bagging defenders are all a bunch of closet racists, hell bent on starting a new faction of the KKK."

You still haven't shown any proof. When you show actual proof that these things happened, I'll be happy to denounce the individuals responsible. Isn't it the left who are always so careful to not blame the actions of Islamic terrorist on the whole of Islam. Just another of those double standards from the left. I guess hate and ignorance on your part are bliss. BTW, ya'll democrats can keep the KKK heritage right there with you where it originated and thrived.

Talking points memo? LOL! Again, nothing but accusations with zero evidence. That's almost as funny as "news" anchors reading WH talking points off their blackberry during a live broadcast. Credibility=ZERO

Again, I have a hard time comprehending how you can so easily be lead to believe such poppycock. Turn your brain on man.

"There are definitely people watching."

Good. Perhaps they'll join in the conversation and explain to the more ignorant among us exactly what constitutes an actionable infringement of speech laws.

"There are laws on the books that would allow law enforcement to seek you, throw the cuffs on you, and to question you for no less than 24 hours straight without access to a lawyer or a judge."

Cite please. I've broken no laws. You may not like what I write, but there isn't anything anyone but the TFP webmaster can do about it. If any of the alphabet soup fella's would like to come and talk, as I said before, I'll be happy to chat. They can find me if they so desire. I have no illusions that my posts are anonymous. I won't be silenced out of fear of imaginary black helicopters or JBT's.

"What reason on Earth would give cause for any of those men and the witnesses to those events to file false claims of such rude behavior?"

Oh, maybe the need to discredit political opponents, mixed with a healthy dose of projection.

You can keep whining about this imaginary racism all you like, but you are the one spewing hate.

To paraphrase Dylan, one doesn't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

March 27, 2010 at 11:09 p.m.
SCOTTYM said...

I missed this one,

"the vast majority of the media still takes care to print or post responsibly."

Good lord man you've lost your mind.

March 27, 2010 at 11:10 p.m.
InspectorBucket said...

Let us now turn our attention to real and present violence, right here in the finest park of our fine city.

Saturday, March 27, 2010 Breaking: Multiple people shot at Coolidge Park http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2010/mar/27/breaking-multiple-people-shot-coolidge-park/#comments

March 27, 2010 at 11:10 p.m.
alprova said...

http://www.pressalive.com/?p=702

Scary....just plain scary.

March 27, 2010 at 11:37 p.m.
SCOTTYM said...

"Maybe at that point X will do the honorable thing and blow his brains out."

"Maybe at that point, Y will do the honorable thing and just gobble up enough - enough Viagra that he becomes absolutely rigid and keels over dead."

"Maybe then Z will just drink a vat of that poison he spews out on America every night and choke to death"

This was broadcast on a nationally syndicated radio show.

Any guesses as to where this hate is coming from? Any one want to denounce the entire group this clown is associated with?

Anyone believe the media will highlight this hate-fest and use it in an attempt to discredit any particular group of people?

March 27, 2010 at 11:46 p.m.
SCOTTYM said...

al @ 11:37,

And this different than Janene Garafolo how?

March 27, 2010 at 11:51 p.m.
SCOTTYM said...

"Maher quoted from Woods: “I want to treat you rough, throw you around, spank and slap you and make you sore....I'm going to tell you to shut the f**k up while I slap your face and pull your hair for making noise.” Maher declared that “perfectly represents the attitude the Democrats should now have in their dealings with the Republican Party.”

There are millions of instances of hate coming from the left. Pretending all the hate comes from one side is a fool's game.

March 27, 2010 at 11:56 p.m.
Musicman375 said...

ZOMFG, Scotty, all of this logic is gonna make my head asplode!

March 28, 2010 at 1:05 a.m.
alprova said...

You know Scott, you might have some obscure point to make, if so much as one person had ever offered similar comments in here to those you have decided to quote and add to this discussion. No one has, especially not myself.

You might have a point to make if anyone had used language similar to that contained in your last post, again by anyone who roams this forum. No one has, especially not myself.

So what point are you trying to make? Oh..yeah...you think I hate and express hate. Okay, you get to join the others who have made that baseless accusation.

I hate no one. I have no reason to hate anyone. I'm rooting for the winning team at the moment. My life is going great and I have no axes to grind with a soul.

Deflecting the facts as they are presented will never change the truth. Attempting to change one's argument usually results in utter failure to win any points in a debate.

You have claimed that there are angry people out there, who would apparently start metaphorically splitting skulls if they had half a chance, but you'll sit there all day long and attempt to try to persuade everyone who reads our exchanges, that these same people would never get angry enough to spew a few racial and sexual epithets?

What's wrong with this picture?

Let's be clear on one thing -- I have never insinuated that there are not people out there who hate Republicans/Conservatives/Tea-Partiers. I'm sure there are plenty of people who do and would readily express such hate.

But how would they insult them?

Tea-Partiers are not likely going to be referred to in negative racial terms, other than to note that they are just about all lily white, because to date, only one non-white partier has ever surfaced in photographs and videos taken at Tea-Party gatherings.

Homosexuals, to the best of my knowledge are not welcome as Tea-Party members, because that would rub some people raw due to their conservative religious beliefs. Therefore, I seriously doubt that referring to any of them with negative homophobic connotations would be anything other than pointless and a complete waste of time.

Really Scott, is the above the best that you can come up with to defend and to deflect the fact that racial insults were leveled last Saturday by literal morons?

My entire perception of the person you were has changed dramatically throughout this thread. I'm quite shocked to put it plainly.

I'm sure there were many people there that day who would never utter such words to anyone. This tactic taken by Tea-Party supporters to deny and challenge that the words were uttered by ANY of them is only accomplishing one thing.

It is driving the reputation of the group into the ground politically, spiritually, and the more I see it, the more convinced I am that the majority of these people are as equally likely to be as race resistant as those who have always existed in the Republican Party.

What's the old saying? You can't polish a turd.

March 28, 2010 at 1:15 a.m.
SCOTTYM said...

Here you go al.

"It’s time for the allegedly pristine character of Rep. John Lewis to put up or shut up. Therefore, I am offering $10,000 of my own money to provide hard evidence that the N- word was hurled at him not 15 times, as his colleague reported, but just once. Surely one of those two cameras wielded by members of his entourage will prove his point."

http://biggovernment.com/abreitbart/2010/03/25/2010-a-race-odyssey-disproving-a-negative-for-cash-prizes-or-how-the-civil-rights-movement-jumped-the-shark/

It's an easy 10 grand. Go get it. Surely you can prove that at least one of those Tea-party folks hurled an offensive racial epithet.

The moment a video is brought forth showing anyone shouting a racial term, I will personally denounce said person as a racist right here on this page, as well as write a letter to the editor for print in this paper, doing the same.

The gauntlet is down, sir. Lay off the "tea-partiers are racists" bit, or, offer up some proof of the incident you were referring to earlier and make $10,000.

How could you lose?

March 28, 2010 at 4:55 a.m.
SCOTTYM said...

"You know Scott,...

Think of me as you will.

You started here,

"Last Saturday, Tea-Partiers demonstrated their intelligence by verbally assaulting Representatives with racial epithets, homophobic slurs, and with spittle in one case."

You, so eloquently, called out a large and diverse crowd as racist, homophobic and disrespectful enough to intentionally spit on other people.

For this, you nor anyone else, offers one iota of evidence.

You also wrote, "Defend the indefensible and I'll be here to denounce it."

Me too.

You made the inference that JHenry is a racist with this one,

"Just so you know...there were more than a few WHITE people who witnessed the antics of that crowd."

because for a racist, a white person's word, obviously, carries more weight than a black person's word, right?

That's extremely offensive.

Hate is hate. It has a lot of flavors.

You are throwing hate around like a nerf football.

You then continue with the fantasy, which you've been spoon-fed by the media, that the hate is coming from the other side.

It's not hate. It's revulsion.

I posted those disgusting quotes to open your eyes. You are blind to the hate and anger that is exuded from the left. You are so immersed in it that you've become part of it and do not see it unless the T.V. tells you where they deem it to be.

Finally you posted this, the most polished turd of all:

"...the majority of these people are as equally likely to be as race resistant as those who have always existed in the Republican Party."

Only one who is truly ignorant of American history would write such a thing. It is a big red flag showing that you have very poor knowledge of the subject.

You've got the speak up part down cold, now wake-up, read-up and get a clue.

You're not just being subsumed by an out of control fed.gov, you're willingly participating in the farce.

Many of us would prefer to stick to our guns(literally and figuratively) and die in defense of those founding ideals of individual liberty you are so fond of disparaging.

March 28, 2010 at 4:57 a.m.
alprova said...

Scott Wrote: "You, so eloquently, called out a large and diverse crowd as racist, homophobic and disrespectful enough to intentionally spit on other people.

For this, you nor anyone else, offers one iota of evidence."

First of all, I was not there. Nor were you. Second, my opinion that it did occur is based on several readings of events as they were reported on several websites and in print.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/03/24/congress.threats/index.html?iref=allsearch

Your opinion is based apparently on Breitbart's challenge to the Congressional Black Caucus.

" "Just so you know...there were more than a few WHITE people who witnessed the antics of that crowd."

because for a racist, a white person's word, obviously, carries more weight than a black person's word, right?

That's extremely offensive."

Oh don't you DARE attempt to flip this on me.

The entire premise behind the attempt to discredit the Congressional Black Caucus members who reported the incidents that we are debating, has been that these kind of accusations are are routinely made when the CBC members "backs are up against a wall."

The only problem is, that no one's back was up against any wall. The Democrats had the votes to pass the bill.

So again Scott, I ask you to explain, in your own words if you can, what possible reason that any of these people would have for making false accusations, given that the votes were well in place to pass the bill, long before these men actually crossed that street, and given the fact that not one Tea-Partier out there could change a thing regarding how that vote went down?

If anything, the men involved did not WANT to make a big deal out of it. Most of the accounts that were written, included incidents that were witnessed by reporters themselves. So, it's not just CBC members who are being called liars.

The Capital Police were called in at one point and each of the men declined to make the incidents official because that would have resulted in the Capital Police taking action to remove the protesters, which would have resulted in a probable riot situation.

"Only one who is truly ignorant of American history would write such a thing. It is a big red flag showing that you have very poor knowledge of the subject."

You really believe that, don't you?

I couldn't care less about history. Haven't you received that message yet? I'm talking today my friend.

Tea-Partiers are a conglomerate of angry white people who absolutely cannot deal with the fact that Barrack Obama -- a man of color, was elected as President, metaphorically shoving them to the back of the proverbial bus and they are angry.

Like it...don't like it...but that sizes up the situation rather well in my personal opinion. You can disagree with it all day long, but you can't prove to a soul that what I say is not on target.

March 28, 2010 at 11:17 a.m.
dss said...

Such behavior is equally abhorrent from both sides. Threats made to Democrats are as disturbing as the bullet through Eric Cantor's window.

The left, however, only finds it deplorable when it's directed at them. In reverse, it's the highest sign of patriotism. Your righteous indignation would have more substance if it surfaced when your radicals espoused it.

You'll love or hate this, depending on your political bent: http://townhall.com/columnists/LauraHollis/2010/03/29/more_%E2%80%9Chateful%E2%80%9D_propaganda_from_the_left

March 29, 2010 at 2:11 p.m.
please login to post a comment

videos »         

photos »         

e-edition »

advertisement
advertisement

Find a Business

400 East 11th St., Chattanooga, TN 37403
General Information (423) 756-6900
Copyright, Permissions, Terms & Conditions, Privacy Policy, Ethics policy - Copyright ©2014, Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc. All rights reserved.
This document may not be reprinted without the express written permission of Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc.