• Name: Dunkin’ Donuts
• Location: 7647 East Brainerd Road, between Zaxby’s and Wendy’s, near Food Lion
• Status: The project has only recently started. Contractors are removing the car wash equipment, and will fill in the trench left behind. Workers will gut the sales, management and equipment area, which they will replace with a counter, dining area and full kitchen. The main structure and roof will remain, which means that drive-through customers will travel through the car wash tunnel to get their donuts, said Bruce Martin, project manager for Dillard Construction. Because of the extensive power and water requirements of the old car wash, much of the plumbing and electrical components are sufficient for a donut kitchen, Martin said. “All we have to do is tie into the existing plumbing with kitchen-required plumbing like grease lines,” he said. “There’s plenty of power in there from operating all that car wash equipment, so no new transformers or any of that stuff.”
• Price: $150,000
• Features: The former “King of Kleen” car wash will go from a green roof to an orange roof, Martin said. The building will be a standard Dunkin’ Donuts box, other than the unique drive-through arrangement. A patio outside will seat about 30 patrons.
• Amenities: Customers don’t have to worry about being hot, cold or wet while they wait for their order. “It should be a neat experience,” Martin said.
• Developers: Bluemont Developers
• Builders: Dillard Construction
Ellis Smith joined the Chattanooga Times Free Press in January 2010 as a business reporter. His beat includes the flooring industry, Chattem, Unum, Krystal, the automobile market, real estate and technology. Ellis is from Marietta, Ga., and has a bachelor’s degree in mass communication at the University of West Georgia. He previously worked at UTV-13 News, Carrollton, Ga., as a producer; at the The West Georgian, Carrollton, Ga., as editor; and at the Times-Georgian, Carrollton, ...