• Name: Jenkins Road Medical Facility
• Location: 3300 Block of Jenkins Road, in East Brainerd. The property is about a half mile from U.S. Xpress headquarters.
• Status: Builders are in the process of site work, and have finished the building pad and begun framing the structure. Workers have roughed in both electrical and plumbing fixtures to the slab, but no interior walls have electrical wiring or plumbing. Builders have yet to frame the second story and finish out the interior and exterior.
• Price: The total project cost is about $2 million. The building will encompass 11,400 square feet on the first floor and 4,000 square feet on the second for a total of 15,000.
• Tenants: McLean Medical pediatrictian, Dr. Richard Rush family dentistry, Shull Harris Construction
• Features: The exterior will be both brick and Hardie siding, with "maybe a third masonry siding on it so we have some different textures, like cedar shake," said contractor Greg Shull. The building will have wood accents, including large beams to frame the portico, he said. Inside, builders are installing "luxury vinyl tiles" that incorporate small particles of metallic silver to impede bacteria growth. Plans call for each exam room in the pediatrician's office to have a different theme, with three-dimensional murals and an aquarium. Shull is working on a post office theme for the dentist's office, he said.
• Developer/Contractor: Shull Harris Construction
• Completion date: November
Ellis Smith joined the Chattanooga Times Free Press in January 2010 as a business reporter. His beat includes the flooring industry, Chattem, Unum, Krystal, the automobile market, real estate and technology. Ellis is from Marietta, Ga., and has a bachelor’s degree in mass communication at the University of West Georgia. He previously worked at UTV-13 News, Carrollton, Ga., as a producer; at the The West Georgian, Carrollton, Ga., as editor; and at the Times-Georgian, Carrollton, ...
related articles »
• Name: New Culinary Institute of Virginia College
The building’s foundation and first floor are framed, and planks are set for the second floor out of six total.
Construction recently began, so work crews are still in the early stages of preparing the building for classes.
Planned for completion in November, this sagging building formerly contained an auditorium, grocery store and a Pepsi bottling plant before ...