published Friday, December 9th, 2011

Cleveland Chair Factory building destroyed by fire

Cleveland Firefighter Tim Walker mans a ladder-truck hose Thursday morning while trying to extinguish a factory fire off Euclid Avenue in downtown Cleveland, Tenn.
Cleveland Firefighter Tim Walker mans a ladder-truck hose Thursday morning while trying to extinguish a factory fire off Euclid Avenue in downtown Cleveland, Tenn.
Photo by Dan Henry.
Follow the latest Cleveland news on Twitter
Fire at Cleveland Chair Factory
Get directions:  To here - From here

CLEVELAND, Tenn. -- Investigators may be allowed as soon as today into the smoldering rubble of an empty Cleveland factory building that was destroyed by fire Thursday morning.

Firefighters were unable to say Thursday whether anyone was inside the long-vacant Cleveland Chair Factory.

The second and third floors collapsed onto the first floor, officials said, and some free-standing segments of brick wall were in danger of collapsing so investigators were not able to search right away, officials said.

"When it is deemed safe enough, investigators will go in," said Capt. Ron Harrison with the Cleveland Fire Department.

Firefighters were at the Ninth Street SE site all day Thursday, spraying the rubble and guarding against flare-ups.

"I don't know when the building was built, but the floors were wood, so this is a very volatile building," Cleveland Fire Department Capt. Mike Pierce said.

He said he wasn't sure when the factory stopped producing chairs. It was not immediately clear who owns the building.

The alarm was reported about 4:30 a.m., according to Harrison.

When they are allowed into the structure, investigators will be looking for a cause of the blaze and, potentially, for human remains if any homeless person may have been inside, said Ben Atchley, the department's training coordinator.

Harrison said a railroad track runs beside the building, and that also was a concern during the fire. The track was closed intermittently during the firefighting.

No firefighters were reported injured. They did, however, have to work in early morning freezing temperatures. Around one ladder truck, water spray had frozen on the weeds.

Traffic was rerouted around the area during the morning.

about Randall Higgins...

Randall Higgins covers news in Cleveland, Tenn., for the Times Free Press. He started work with the Chattanooga Times in 1977 and joined the staff of the Chattanooga Times Free Press when the Free Press and Times merged in 1999. Randall has covered Southeast Tennessee, Northwest Georgia and Alabama. He now covers Cleveland and Bradley County and the neighboring region. Randall is a Cleveland native. He has bachelor’s degree from Tennessee Technological University. His awards ...

Comments do not represent the opinions of the Chattanooga Times Free Press, nor does it review every comment. Profanities, slurs and libelous remarks are prohibited. For more information you can view our Terms & Conditions and/or Ethics policy.
please login to post a comment

Other National Articles

videos »         

photos »         

e-edition »

400 East 11th St., Chattanooga, TN 37403
General Information (423) 756-6900
Copyright, Permissions, Terms & Conditions, Privacy Policy, Ethics policy - Copyright ©2014, Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc. All rights reserved.
This document may not be reprinted without the express written permission of Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc.