Cancer help line
The American Cancer Society offers information and support through its free, nationwide help line for cancer patients, family members, friends of cancer patients, and others who have questions about cancer -- 24 hours a day, seven days a week -- even on holidays. For information or support, call the American Cancer Society 24 hours a day at 800-227-2345 or visit cancer.org
Complementary Health Education Organization's program on Jan. 15, from 2-4 p.m., at Eastgate Town Center Community Conference Room, 5600 Brainerd Road, will be a free "Specialty Share." Attendees may sample different types of complementary health sessions such as foot reflexologoy, Reiki, Soul to Soul healing, intuitive readings and more. Log on to www.4cheo.org for information about presenters.
* Tai chi sward classes on Tuesdays, 8:30-9:30 a.m. This is an advanced tai chi class that requires instructor's permission. The 12-week class costs $120 for nonmembers and $60 for Lifestyle Center members.
* Zumba classes on Tuesdays, 5:30-6:30 p.m. Zumba is an effective, easy to follow, Latin-inspired, calorie-burning dance and fitness party. The cost is $48 for the eight-week session.
* Beginning tai chi classes every Thursday, starting Jan. 5, 6:30-7:30 p.m. Tai chi is a gentle, internal martial art form that uses graceful, slow and continuous movements emphasizing relaxation, balance and control. The 12-week session is $120 for nonmembers or $60 for Lifestyle Center members.
All of the above three classes are at Erlanger Chattanooga Lifestyle Center. For information or to register, call 778-9400.
Registered nurses who want to bring whole person health and wellness to their faith community may attend the Spring 2012 Faith Community/Parish Nursing class offered by Memorial Health Care System beginning Feb. 15 and ending April 12. The 33-hour class includes three eight-hour day sessions on Wednesdays (Feb. 15, 22 and 29, 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.) plus three three-hour afternoon sessions on Thursdays (March 15 and 29 and April 12 from 4:30-7:30 p.m.) All six classes must be completed to fulfill course and contact hours requirements. Contact Connie Blake at 495-6163 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for an application and tuition information. Registration deadline is Feb. 3.
* The Gastric Band Institute will hold a free seminar on gastric banding (Lap-Band ad Realize Band) and the new "sleeve" procedure for people who are 75 pounds overweight. The session will be held Tuesday, Jan. 10, 5:30 p.m., at the Chattanooga Choo Choo, Roosevelt Room, 1400 Market St. Call 899-1000 for reservations. Free insurance verification.
* Overweight and considering surgical options? Free insurance verification offered through December. Call 423-899-1000 or e-mail email@example.com
* Gastric study. If you are more than 75 pounds overweight and want to participate in a research study with the new sleeve stomach plication, call 899-1000 or visit www.gastricbandinstitute.com for information.
Items for this column are due the Friday before Thursday's publication date. Write to Linda Weaver, P.O. Box 1447, Chattanooga, TN 37401-1447; fax 668-5071; email firstname.lastname@example.org.