* Food Drive: Strasburg Children, Hamilton Place, 10 a.m.- 9 p.m., collection of nonperishable goods for donation to Frienddship Haven Home for the Elderly. Drive concludes Sunday. 899-7276
* Anderson Lecture Series: Southern Adventist University, Hulsey Wellness Center Room 3135, 7 p.m., free, Donald Robinson, audit director for Bank of America in Charlotte, N.C., is speaker. 236-2753.
* Bike Polo: Weekly pickup games begin in First Tennessee Pavilion, 1801 Reggie White Blvd., 4-6 p.m., free and open to all skill levels, bring own bike, mallets provided, helmets required. chattanoogabikepolo.blogspot.com
* Business Workshop: Coping Skills in the Workplace, Urban League of Chattanooga, 730 E. M.L. King Blvd., 9-11 a.m., free, 756-1762.
* Chattanooga Engineers Club: Doubletree Hotel, 407 Chestnut St., noon, program on Lifetone's new product for the hearing-impaired.
* Chattanooga Hiking Club: Outdoor Chattanooga, 200 River St., 6:30 p.m., free, National Park Service ranger David Rose shares stories of living and working in Yosemite Park. firstname.lastname@example.org
* Swingle Singers: Lee University, Dixon Center, 7:30 p.m., famous a cappella group in concert. Tickets available by phone at 614-8343.
* Democratic Women's Club: IBEW Hall, 3922 Volunteer Drive, 6 p.m., free and visitors welcome, Hamilton County Commissioner Warren Mackey is guest speaker. 875-0100.
* Chattanooga Writers Guild: Bicentennial Library, 1001 Broad St., enter through the 11th Street entrance, 6:30 p.m., free and open to the public, two mini-workshops offered then participants combine for discussion.
* Elderscholars: UTC University Center, Lookout Mountain Room, 1 p.m., free, Tennessee River Gorge Trust presentation by trust's director Jim Brown and Lanny McNabb. For more information, e-mail email@example.com
* Open House: Southern Adventist University, Iles P.E. Center, 10 a.m. to noon, free, lunch included, meet professors and see campus. 1-800-SOUTHERN.
* Pedestrian Safety Workshop: BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee Silver Life Center, 301 W. M.L. King Blvd., 11 a.m.-2:30 p.m., registration required because lunch is provided, workshop for senior adults on creating pedestrian-friendly environments. To register, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 643-7880.
* Tea Collection Trunk Show: WiggleWorm, 307 Manufacturers Road, Suite 105, spring and summer children's fashions for infants to size 12. 756-8181.
* Portraiture Class: Hunter Museum of American Art, 6-8 p.m., $25 museum members, $30 nonmembers, Stan Townsend leads figure drawing/portraiture workshop, bring own materials, clothed live model provided. 267-0968
* Flute Recital: Cadek Recital Hall, 725 Oak Street on UTC campus, 7:30 p.m., free, Nora Kile in faculty flute recital. 425-4601.
* Job Readiness Computer Skills: Urban League of Chattanooga, 730 E. M.L. King Blvd., 2-4 p.m., free, five sessions teach how to create an e-mail account, resume, cover letters, learn MS Word, and how to do an Internet job search. 756-1762
* Scripture Symposium: Adventist Theological Society Scripture Symposium, Southern Adventist University, Lynn Wood Hall chapel in Collegedale, 3:30 p.m., free, "How Reliable is Scripture?" led by professors Alan Parker, Martin Klingbeil, Edwin Reynolds and Michael Hasel followed by panel discussion and questions and answers. 236-2989.
* Tree Care Workshop: Outdoor Chattanooga, 200 River St. in Coolidge Park, 1 p.m., free, arborists Jon Nessle and Preston Roberts lead workshop on tree identification and pruning. 643-6888.
Susan Palmer Pierce is a reporter and columnist in the Life department. She began her journalism career as a summer employee 1972 for the News Free Press, typing bridal announcements and photo captions. She became a full-time employee in 1980, working her way up to feature writer, then special sections editor, then Lifestyle editor in 1995 until the merge of the NFP and Times in 1999. She was honored with the 2007 Chattanooga Woman of ...
related articles »
• Fifty-Five Plus Club: Collegedale Seventh-Day Adventist Church, 4829 College Drive N.E., Collegedale, 11:30 a.m. bring vegetarian potluck dishes to ...
Art exhibits, theatre and film event happenings in the Scenic City this week.