* Second Missionary Baptist Church, 2305 E. Third St.; 6 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 12; annual black history banquet has theme of "African-Americans in the Civil War" and includes vendor showcase, music and door prizes; $15; ticket deadline Wednesday; 624-9097 or e-mail email@example.com.
* New Monumental Baptist Church, 901 Woodmore Lane; 6 p.m. today; "3 BMWs," written and produced by the Rev. Virgil J. Caldwell, is story of the journey of the Ethiopian eunuch as he travels from Ethiopia to Jerusalem and is presented by Covington Theological Seminary students; free; 624-7604.
* Benedictine Sisters Retreat Center, Sacred Heart Monastery, 916 Convent Road N.E., Cullman, Ala.; Friday through noon Sunday, Feb. 13; program "Day by Day: A Liturgy of the Hours Retreat" offered; $175 for shared room or $195 for private room includes lodging and meals; 256-734-8302 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Growing in Grace Ministries, 1384 Gunbarrel Road, Suite D; 6:30-9:30 a.m. Friday and 9 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 12; video seminar "Laugh Your Way to a Better Marriage" by Mark Gungor for married, single and divorced couples; $18 per person or $35 per couple; registration mandatory; 605-2268, 866-525-2844, www.iggm.org or http://www.laughyourway.com/events/2011/02/Chattanooga-TN/.
* Tyner United Methodist Church, 6805 Standifer Gap Road; 11 a.m. Sunday, Feb. 13; concert of classic and gospel selections and spirituals by the 18-voice Bryan College Chamber Singers; 892-0444.
* Country Place Restaurant, 7320 Shallowford Road; noon Thursday; Chattanooga Women's Connection features entertainment by the Vintage Red Roses Red Hat Group and message "What To Hang Onto When Less is More" by Gail Latham; $12; reservations deadline Monday (child care available with reservation); 867-5019, e-mail email@example.com or visit www.chattanoogawomen.org.
Clint Cooper is the faith editor and a staff writer for the Times Free Press Life section. He also has been an assistant sports editor and Metro staff writer for the newspaper. Prior to the merger between the Chattanooga Free Press and Chattanooga Times in 1999, he was sports news editor for the Chattanooga Free Press, where he was in charge of the day-to-day content of the section and the section’s design. Before becoming sports ...