published Tuesday, February 8th, 2011

Fire destroys auto repair garage

Fire ravaged an auto repair garage late this morning, according to a news release from the Chattanooga Fire Department.

Chattanooga firefighters responded to a fire around 11:30 a.m. at the garage, which is located at 5611 Moody Sawyer Road.

Investigator Lt. Henry McElvain said an employee at the shop was working on a car when the vehicle slipped off the jack stand. As the car fell, the gas tank was punctured and fuel spewed out, according to the release.

McElvain said when the gas fumes reached the open flame of the shop’s kerosene heater, the area ignited into flames.

The employee got out of the garage uninjured and called 911.

Chattanooga firefighters arrived moments later, but the gas-fired blaze had already gutted the building, said CDP spokesman Bruce Garner.

It also destroyed a car and tools and equipment.

The cause of the fire has been ruled accidental.

about Staff Report...

Get breaking news from the Times Free Press on Twitter at www.twitter.com/timesfreepress or by visiting us on Facebook or Twitter at the right:

Comments do not represent the opinions of the Chattanooga Times Free Press, nor does it review every comment. Profanities, slurs and libelous remarks are prohibited. For more information you can view our Terms & Conditions and/or Ethics policy.
please login to post a comment

Other National Articles

videos »         

photos »         

e-edition »

advertisement
advertisement

Find a Business

400 East 11th St., Chattanooga, TN 37403
General Information (423) 756-6900
Copyright, Permissions, Terms & Conditions, Privacy Policy, Ethics policy - Copyright ©2014, Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc. All rights reserved.
This document may not be reprinted without the express written permission of Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc.