The Market Street Bridge spans the Tennessee River between downtown Chattanooga and the Northshore District.Staff photo by John Rawlston
The Market Street Bridge has been added to the National Register of Historic Places, state officials announced today.
Opened in 1917, the bridge linking downtown Chattanooga to North Chattanooga is the largest drawbridge of its type east of the Mississippi River.
Paul Archambault, historian for the Southeast Tennessee Development District, wrote the nomination.
“It represents a rare engineering marvel in the Southeast United Stations region. At 310 feet, the double-leaf steel bascule lift was the largest span of its kind in the world when the bridge opened for traffic,” the nomination states. “The six concrete arches made it the largest concrete bridge in the South at that time.”
Read more Saturday in the Chattanooga Times Free Press.
Pam Sohn has been reporting or editing Chattanooga news for 25 years. A Walden’s Ridge native, she began her journalism career with a 10-year stint at the Anniston (Ala.) Star. She came to the Chattanooga Times Free Press in 1999 after working at the Chattanooga Times for 14 years. She has been a city editor, Sunday editor, wire editor, projects team leader and assistant lifestyle editor. As a reporter, she also has covered the police, ...