Chattanooga Fire Department spokesman Bruce Garner said no one was injured in the fire this morning on East Fifth Street but the heat was so intense it melted a firefighter’s face shield.
“That doesn’t happen very often,” he said of the fire at an apartment building on Brabson Hill.
Garner said most of the fire was contained to the roof and rooftop deck, but one of the six apartment units might have some smoke and water damage, he said.
Nine fire companies responded, including one that had been training blocks away at UTC, Garner said.
Chattanooga firefighters had battled a rooftop blaze early this morning at the Brabson Hill building at 510 E Fifth St. Large, dark plumes of smoke could be seen from several vantage points downtown.
Apartment resident Mario Piccolo said he smelled somthing as he watered his flowers on the roof deck of building.
Minutes later, he said he saw a lot of smoke coming from the roof and hurried to get out.
“I was more scared once I got down here and realized what was going on,” he said.
Piccolo said he had lived in one of the six Brabson Hill apartments for about 8 months. He said it appeared as if most of the damage was on the roof where property owner Pam O’Dwyer had built a deck.
O’Dwyer said she had no information about damages.
Jack McDonald, who lives nearby and who also owns property in the area, said it was a frightening, smokey scene.
“I looked up and it [smoke] was just billowing out,” he said.
Read more in tomorrow’s Times Free Press.
Get breaking news from the Times Free Press on Twitter at www.twitter.com/timesfreepress or by visiting us on Facebook or Twitter at the right:
related articles »
Lightning that struck a home’s roof in the Hamilton Mill subdivision early this morning sparked a fire that destroyed the ...
Chattanooga fire investigators blame an electrical malfunction for sparking a fire in a large home in the Mountain Creek Road ...
Chattanooga Fire Department officials have ruled out foul play in an apartment fire on Tuesday in which no one was ...
No one was injured in an apartment building fire on East Fifth Street on Tuesday morning, but one firefighter was ...