published Thursday, March 3rd, 2011

Coffey: How to get another SSA-1099 form

Q: How can I get a replacement SSA-1099?

A: Millions of taxpayers are busy gathering all the forms and documents they need to file their federal, state and local tax returns. If you receive Social Security benefits, one of those items may be your SSA-1099 from Social Security.

Some people who receive Social Security may have to pay taxes on a portion of their benefits. If you’re one of these individuals, a Social Security benefit statement (Form SSA-1099) is an important tax document for you to have.

Social Security mailed the SSA-1099s for tax year 2010 to all beneficiaries in January. If you receive Social Security and need a replacement SSA-1099 for 2010 to file a tax return, you can request it online at

The SSA-1099 shows the total amount of benefits received in the previous year and is used

to find out if any Social Security benefits are subject to tax. The federal tax laws about Social Security benefits provide that:

  • Up to 50 percent of Social Security benefits may be subject to federal income tax for individuals with a combined income between $25,000 and $34,000, or for couples with a combined income between $32,000 and $44,000; and

n Up to 85 percent of Social Security benefits may be subject to federal income tax for individuals with a combined income above $34,000, or for couples with a combined income above $44,000. (Note: “Combined income” means adjusted gross income, plus nontaxable interest, plus one-half of Social Security benefits.)

For more information on taxation of Social Security benefits, visit the IRS website at

To request a replacement SSA-1099, visit www.socialse

Q: How do I report a change of address if I’m on Supplemental Security Income?

A: You must report any change of address by calling our toll-free number, 1-800-772-1213, or by visiting a local office within 10 days after the month the change occurs. You cannot complete a change of address online because we must obtain more specific information about the change in your living arrangement.

Failure to report or filing false reports could result in a fine, imprisonment, or both. Even if you receive your benefits by direct deposit, you need to report your new address to Social Security so that you can continue to receive mail from Social Security when necessary.

To learn more about SSI reporting responsibilities, read the publication What You Need To Know When You Get Supplemental Security Income (SSI) at

Submit questions to local Social Security Director Martin Coffey by writing to Business Editor Dave Flessner, Chattanooga Times Free Press, P.O. Box 1447, Chattanooga, TN 37401-1447, or by e-mailing him at

Comments do not represent the opinions of the Chattanooga Times Free Press, nor does it review every comment. Profanities, slurs and libelous remarks are prohibited. For more information you can view our Terms & Conditions and/or Ethics policy.
please login to post a comment

Other National Articles

videos »         

photos »         

e-edition »


Find a Business

400 East 11th St., Chattanooga, TN 37403
General Information (423) 756-6900
Copyright, Permissions, Terms & Conditions, Privacy Policy, Ethics policy - Copyright ©2014, Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc. All rights reserved.
This document may not be reprinted without the express written permission of Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc.