• What: Decorate and paint unfinished pottery
• Company: Paint the Town Pottery LLC
• Address: 1336 Market St., Dayton, Tenn.
Jennifer Beam, owner of Paint the Town Pottery LLC in Dayton, Tenn., places a completed plate on the shelf for display in her store. Customers can paint their own design on her unfinished pottery before she adds a glazed finish. Beam will open her second store on Thursday in Cleveland, Tenn. Photo by Kimberly McMillian
• New location: On Thursday, a second pottery outlet will open at 4691 N. Lee Highway in Cleveland, Tenn.
• Website: paintthetown.info
• Telephone: 285-5121
• Owner: Jennifer Blevins Beam
• Products/Services: Unfinished ceramic plates and platters, bowls, ashtrays, frogs, cats and dogs, pitchers and ornaments; birthday parties; “Pottery-To-Go”
• Age: 38
• Startup Investment/anticipated annual sales: Under $40,000 for startup of second store; Beam anticipates enough sales to repay the loan
• Target market: All ages. Beam visits schools within a 50-mile radius and assists elementary students with projects year-round.
• Biggest hurdle: Managing her time between the “Pottery-To-Go” at schools, running the current location and opening her second store in Cleveland.
• Challenge: More productivity, less inactivity. Also, she encourages schools to use pottery as tools in the classroom.
• Lesson learned: Bad art is good art, if it comes from the heart.
• Five-year goal: To open stores in surrounding areas, along with a workshop to teach classes on pottery making to customers. She would like to be self-sufficient with providing her own handmade “American-made” pottery, rather than using pottery made from China, Thailand and other countries.
— Compiled by staff writer Kimberly McMillian, email@example.com.
related articles »
SPRING CITY, Tenn. — For 15-year-old playwright Bailey Hufstetler, tackling dramatic themes in his play "Changed" was inspired by the ...
Terry Wilkey, a former manager and longtime collector, said that his passion and expertise over the years for finding rare ...
The store offers hand-crafted glass pendants with photo art, photo key chains, multiple-charm key chains and European glass beads, among ...
“We’re liable to have about everything,” owner Howard Fuller said, about offering items similar to what another discount store had ...