published Saturday, March 19th, 2011

Obama's Bracket

about Clay Bennett...

The son of a career army officer, Bennett led a nomadic life, attending ten different schools before graduating in 1980 from the University of North Alabama with degrees in Art and History. After brief stints as a staff artist at the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette and the Fayetteville (NC) Times, he went on to serve as the editorial cartoonist for the St. Petersburg Times (1981-1994) and The Christian Science Monitor (1997-2007), before joining the staff of the ...

95
Comments do not represent the opinions of the Chattanooga Times Free Press, nor does it review every comment. Profanities, slurs and libelous remarks are prohibited. For more information you can view our Terms & Conditions and/or Ethics policy.

And their eyes will be glued to the eraser in his hand, since he will be changing his picks as the games unfold.

March 19, 2011 at 12:59 a.m.
SeaSmokie59er said...

Not to mention that if his team wins, they will be labeled "libral, anti-american, socialist". The school will loose federal funds and the teachers targeted to have their collective bargaining right taken away. Their games will never again be aired on Fox Sports and the NCAA will review all of the players, coaches and trainers birth certificates.

  • Winning!
March 19, 2011 at 1:32 a.m.
fairmon said...

Like him or not, agree with him or not the man does need and deserves some private and recreational time. I don't like or agree with his socialist agenda. I do agree with him taxes should be higher for all and even more for some but not to spread wealth around. Reduced spending and reducing the debt would better serve the people.

Those journalist and members of congress opining have a strictly political agenda. Spending their time on the subject is as bad or worse than that for which they criticize the president.

March 19, 2011 at 5:34 a.m.
woody said...

I have always heard, "...opinions are like (fill in the blank), everybody's got one..etc.,etc.,etc). I would imagine a president's b-ball picks would fall under that idiom. I don't fault the president's detractors for taking exception with everything he does. In fact, I sort of look forward to each new day and each new way some seem to use in order to bring him down. Did everyone get the point of that last statement.."to bring him down." That's right (no pun intended), they aren't doing anything to raise their own sights and cause, they are doing their utmost to drag someone else down to their level. come on 2012..Woody

March 19, 2011 at 8:37 a.m.
dude_abides said...

Newt Gingrich says the President is mailing it in. But Noot, we all know what working too hard for our country leads to, don't we Knute. You people really gonna run this miscreant up the flagpole? Does anyone remember having worked so damn hard that you just HAD to punch that extramarital time card? Ooh, the stress of this job I'm doing for my country is such that I must fornicate with somebody right now! Forgive me Lord, but Nut's gotta get a newt.

March 19, 2011 at 8:59 a.m.
SeaMonkey said...

obama's head is not in the game........he's mute and lazy. afraid to open his mouth or make any attempt to lead on the world stage because he's thinking of 2012. if george w. bush went on espn to discuss his ncaa brackets during a crisis like we have in libya now, he would have been crucified..and you libs know it.

after obama finally opens his mouth, yesterday, i think...he says it's in our interests to take action in libya. when he says that it's ok...when george w bush said that he was attacked.

so much hypocracy..

hillary clinton should step down..she's superior to obama in every way....she has more cajones than he does......it's probably to late for her to challenge obama, or too many factors involved, but democrats know they made a huge mistake in electing a hack.

while obama carefully picks his words so it won't damage him politically, he has no problem making bold predictions like uconn will win the women's nccaa tournament....ooooo..bold prediction..that's like predicting it'll rain in indonesia during the rainy season.....

what a stiff.

bill clinton was flawed and deserved to be impeached...but he had a work ethic and a resume. he was a politician, but he did his job.

george w bush in his second term just wanted to be liked by the media and by democrats... he blew it and spent out of control..i think he was a dispointment, but he had a work ethic and a resume.

obama....is just a stiff.

March 19, 2011 at 10:34 a.m.
SeaMonkey said...

a better cartoon could be titled.... obama fills out ncaa brackets while libya burns...

he's just mailing it in...enjoying the perks of the job......

there's never been a least qualified man,... in character or resume, to be president.

the only way this lazy bum will get reelected is with extreme corruption on a national scale.

he's a massive dispointed to the left, an ant-american to the right, as they thought he would be...... independents wouldn 't vote him again.....he's a pipsqueak on the world stage...he moved to the center after getting his ass kicked on november 2, 2010......he has no where to hide and his teleprompter doesn't cut it anymore.

March 19, 2011 at 10:54 a.m.
SeaMonkey said...

obama let the u.k. and france lead in taking action against libya, not because he doesn't want america to lead the world anymore, which he does believe very much, but because he's weak, indecisive and nothing but a political hack. the world still looks to america to led, but obama is desperately trying to make us just another country. to keep making excuses for him and saying he's entitled to downtime and relaxation is just stupid, flat out stupid.....he's on vacation and wants to extend it another four years.

March 19, 2011 at 11:03 a.m.
Rufus_T_Firefly said...

Obsessive–compulsive disorder (OCD) is an anxiety disorder characterized by intrusive thoughts that produce uneasiness, apprehension, fear, or worry, by repetitive behaviors aimed at reducing anxiety, or by a combination of such thoughts (obsessions) and behaviors (compulsions). Symptoms may include repetitive handwashing; extensive hoarding; preoccupation with sexual or aggressive impulses, or with particular religious beliefs; aversion to odd numbers; and nervous habits, such as opening a door and closing it a certain number of times before one enters or leaves a room.

etc...etc...etc...

March 19, 2011 at 11:44 a.m.
mymy said...

Right on SeaMonkey!

Pluse here is part of a letter to editor that is right on also:

"At a time when our country, and the planet in general, is in complete turmoil, where is our esteemed president?

He’s either campaigning, playing golf, fundraising, shooting hoops, vacationing, shopping, or appearing on ESPN to divulge to his adoring fans his NCAA basketball brackets. (Hint: bet against him; everything he has tried or predicted in the last two years has been a complete failure.)"

A friend asked me to sum up President Obama’s first two years in office in two words. It was easy: “worldwide embarrassment.”

Hey Al: prepare to eat your words in 2012!

March 19, 2011 at 1:58 p.m.

Obama the sports man and the president of the White House.

March 19, 2011 at 2:33 p.m.
blackwater48 said...

IT'S NOT NEWS

...That tea baggers criticize everything Obama does.

Even things they agree with.

Party of HELL NO!

(Tea) party on, boys.

LMAO!

March 19, 2011 at 2:35 p.m.
fairmon said...

Several middle eastern countries want a new Muslim leader. Could we let them have ours? I don't think he is a Muslim but they may not know that, it is capitalism, buyer beware. Looking around to see who is on the bench or may be called to serve soon. Dang, we better not let them have him. We are probably better off with someone doing less than a "ready-fire-aim" type. That shoot first aim later approach got us were we are.

March 19, 2011 at 3:18 p.m.
SeaMonkey said...

wrong, blackwater....he's critized for the things he deserves to be criticized for...and there are many.....this horror show in libya has been made worse by obama's desire to make america just another country...not a leader..not the go to country......if not for hillary clinton, nothing would be done about this on our part...imagine that, hillary clinton........his head is not in the game...not on the job..only on staying in office beyond 2012...and on golf, eating well, hoops and partying.......

you stupid libs can bitch, moan, whine, attack, put down and write books about how to kill bush, but when obama's criticized you can't take it....you can take it, but you can't ditch it out...

the fact is...obama is a disaster domestically and internationaly....creeps and thugs around the world are now emboldened because he's flat out said we're just not the leader anymore...don't look at us for leadership......what a jackass...

everything is worse since he came on the scene.....you have to be an utter moron to feel he deserves a second term....i, who cannot stand the clintons....would love to have hillary clinton in the white house compared to this stiff......

his head is not in the game....since he's a sports fantatic...i think he can understand that.

March 19, 2011 at 4:05 p.m.
dude_abides said...

BERLIN — Berlin's beloved polar bear Knut, who rose to stardom when he was hand-raised by zoo keepers after being rejected by his mother at birth, died on Saturday, a zoo official said. The world-famous bear died alone in his compound, bear keeper Heiner Kloes told The Associated Press. "He was by himself in his compound, he was in the water, and then he was dead," said Kloes. "He was not sick, we don't know why he died." I hope our little bi-polar bear Newt is okay.

Hey! Are you tough guy conservatives happy that Obama is going to take out Libya's air defenses? Or do we have to go from "do nothing" straight into "war monger"? You call him timid and ineffectual, but I've already seen some of you start beating the "ill advised meddling" drum. You hate his freedom.

March 19, 2011 at 4:08 p.m.
lkeithlu said...

I'd rather our leaders take the time to think things through and get other western nations on board before charging into another country with guns blazing.If I still had family in the military I'd want to know that we only send troops into harm's way when we had no other option. What in Obama's record in these situations in Egypt, Libya, Yemen or Bahrain doesn't fit with this?

March 19, 2011 at 4:16 p.m.
sd said...

"hillary clinton should step down..she's superior to obama in every way....she has more cajones than he does......it's probably to late for her to challenge obama..."

Unfortunately, in a recent interview with CNN's Wolf Blitzer Secretary Clinton indicated she would not serve a second term as Secretary of State and she is not considering a presidential run in 2016 (nor 2012, which should go without saying).

Very disappointing, to say the least. The reason she gave was an oblique non-answer, but you know what they say about leadership: the people who are best suited for the job usually don't want it. I guess there's no tactful way to say, "Screw this job, I need a vacation."

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/03/16/clinton-running-for-president/

March 19, 2011 at 4:17 p.m.
lkeithlu said...

"you stupid libs can bitch, moan, whine, attack, put down and write books about how to kill bush, but when obama's criticized you can't take it....you can take it, but you can't ditch it out."

I've read this three times and I am not sure I can make it out. What is "ditching it out"? And how can we "take it" and yet "not take it"?

March 19, 2011 at 4:26 p.m.
dude_abides said...

I think "ditching it out" means digging a trench in which to place MREs, water, gasoline, flint, ammo, etc. for when the Lord comes back. Goodness, if only the conservatives make it through Army-geddon, who will teach the kids diction?

March 19, 2011 at 4:40 p.m.
SeaMonkey said...

you know what i mean....you libs can ditch it out, but you can't take it. you don't like when your man is criticized...but you see no problem with your decade long bitch session regarding bush......obama is truly pathetic....on so many levels...

double standard....

i just read a column by deroy murdock..on newsmax. com....it's about the horrible threats to republicans in wisconsin.......you libs tried very hard to label the tea party as violent, threatening etc..etc.....but what you're seeing in wisconisin is what happened when entitled liberals don't get their way....

regarding obama and libya....this should have been done a couple of weeks ago, at least.. i know it interupted his partying, golf and the upcoming ncaa tournament.....if not for, hillary clinton...nothing would've been done

another thing...you cannot criticize bush for iraq, if you approve of obama and libya.... obama even said it's in our interests to invade. i guess that's ok for obama, but not for bush, huh?

March 19, 2011 at 5:01 p.m.
SeaMonkey said...

sc**w you dude....you, woody and that pot smoking hunter s. thompson wannabee..limric... always like to point out spelling errors..and all that stuff because you feek superior...tough.. after type it i post it..imperfections/errors and all ......give me an f for spelling or diction, dumb ass..it doesn't matter a hill of beans..you smug, self-absorbed pompous liberal ass.

you libs are just bitter because you thought obama was "the one'..instead he's just the dumb one.

March 19, 2011 at 5:15 p.m.
alprova said...

Ah...Francis is all warmed up today. A couple of his sock puppets are too. It's a sad and pathetic thing to witness a man so devoid of friends, that he must create alternative names to type in agreement with each other in a public forum. You'd think the man would take a little more care to hide what he's doing.

What you type in here, Francis, will never be consequential. What I type in here may be deemed the same, of course, and that's okay. At least I am grounded in reality.

The right-wing of this nation are making one mistake after another. Those tea-partiers, who thought that they would rule the roost come this past January, are having their feathers plucked out by the dozen as we speak. They found out real quick that mainstream Republicans were not going to simply give them keys to the golden crappers.

Anyone who thinks that President Obama will be unseated in November, 2012 is totally delusional. Not one of those even mulling a run for the office as a right-wing candidate, can amass more than the low 30 percent of the vote within their own party. What gives anyone the reason to think that one of them will poll any higher with the general public?

All this criticism of President Obama for daring to have a life outside of the Oval Office is a riot. He's entitled to his free time, just like any other man or woman in this nation.

The one thing that is most admirable about the man, is the fact that he does not make rash or knee-jerk decisions. He weighs all of his decision very carefully and without being pressured into it.

So...the U.K. and France took the initiative to address the Libyan problem before we did. Good for them. It's about time that the United Nations Security Council stood for something besides the United States leading the rest of the world on a rope and dragging everyone else into assisting in what needs to be done.

See how easy it is to file things in their proper order and make complete sense of it, when you use rationality as a basis to begin deliberations?

Francis, perhaps you should change your diet a little, so that your posts are not simply farts in the wind. You must love pork and beans. At least have the courtesy to open a window.

March 19, 2011 at 5:18 p.m.
alprova said...

Francis, the phrase you should be using is "dishing it out."

Chiding people because you choose to be illiterate is ridiculous.

Oh...and quoting anything found on NewsMax is the last straw. That site is less credible than Fox News, if that is even possible.

Now we know where you get your information. Geez...

March 19, 2011 at 5:27 p.m.
rick1 said...

I'd rather our leaders take the time to think things through and get other western nations on board before charging into another country with guns blazing.

Give me a break this is what Hillary is saying about Obama and Libya: Feeling like the only adult in the room, insiders claim Clinton is unhappy "dealing with a president who can't decide if today is Tuesday or Wednesday, who can't make his mind up."

According to the Clinton inner circle, "there's more going on now at this particular moment," and the Secretary of State feels as if she's "playing sports with a bunch of amateurs."

"Clinton is said to be especially peeved with the president's waffling over how to encourage the kinds of Arab uprisings that have recently toppled regimes in Egypt and Tunisia, and in particular [Obama's] refusal to back a no-fly zone over Libya."

French president Nicolas Sarkozy pressured Hillary to bear down on Obama to take action in Libya. Unable to relay a definitive answer, Clinton was placed in the awkward position of repeatedly telling Sarkozy: "There are difficulties."

http://voices.kansascity.com/entries/report-hillary-departing-because-frustration-obamas-dithering/

March 19, 2011 at 5:35 p.m.
dude_abides said...

MonkeySeaMonkeyDo, The phrase is "dish it out", not ditch it out. I have never "feeked superior" in my life. "Feeking superior" is something I despise and it hurts that you would accuse me of doing it. Take it back and never do it again.

March 19, 2011 at 5:39 p.m.
rick1 said...

And as far as getting other western nations on board this is what they had to say earlier this week.

"The way the U.S. acted was to let the Germans and the Russians block everything, which announced for us an alignment with the Germans as far as we are concerned," one of the diplomats told The Cable.

Clinton's unwillingness to commit the United States to a specific position led many in the room to wonder exactly where the administration stood on the situation in Libya.

"Frankly we are just completely puzzled," the diplomat said. "We are wondering if this is a priority for the United States."

http://thecable.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2011/03/16/european_governments_completely_puzzled_about_us_position_on_libya

Good leadership Obama.

March 19, 2011 at 5:50 p.m.
alprova said...

Rick1, your sources are less than credible.

I no more believe what was quoted to have come from Hillary's mouth, allegedly about the President, than I do if John Boehner had made the same claim.

My God...we are up to our necks in two wars already and you want the United States to enter into a third one? Weighing that decision carefully was the right thing to do.

And, haven't you been paying attention? The diplomatic approach to dealing with Qaddafi seemed to be working, until he decided to do a complete 180 degree turn. Then it was evident that military intervention was unfortunately necessary.

Also, apparently the President had those warships on the way to the region days ago, because here we are 24 hours after committing the U.S. to supporting the U.N. effort and they have been lobbing some 110 missiles and counting into Libya.

What is it you people want from your President? Do you even know how to define it? The cartoon hits the problem on the head. If Obama does it, it is wrong. If he does not do it, it is wrong. If he hesitates, he is wrong. If he rushes in, he is wrong. You people are a joke.

There is nothing more laughable in my opinion, than an armchair warmonger, who second guesses the President of the United States of America from the comfort of their own home.

March 19, 2011 at 6:12 p.m.
lkeithlu said...

The picture is not exactly as you are trying to portray. Clinton apparently waited until it was clear (as of yesterday, apparently) that other Arab countries were behind the idea of military action by US and other western nations and were also willing to participate, then (and only then) she along with several other administrators that were for military action convinced Obama that it was time to act. She actually was in agreement with him up until yesterday that engaging the Libyans was not prudent. In addition, there is some indication that the admin was quietly extracting US citizens before they were willing to use force.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/19/world/africa/19policy.html

March 19, 2011 at 6:14 p.m.
dude_abides said...

Rick1... Don't let the phrasing (for instance "supporting role") throw you. We are apparently engaged in lobbing hundreds of Tomahawks into Libya to suppress their air defenses. It is good leadership to get our allies to play a bigger role in these situations, especially after Bush made such a joke of all of us with his "slam dunk" and "mission accomplished" blood binge. The people who are trying to wreck the middle class are actually berating Obama in both directions simultaneously! Hopefully, they are not hoping that Americans die so that they can trash Obama for their own political benefit. I guess we'll see, won't we?

March 19, 2011 at 6:33 p.m.
rick1 said...

I think you are trying to make it different then how it really is. You neeed to read the links I provided.

March 19, 2011 at 6:44 p.m.
mymy said...

AL PO: Your comments are worth the price of admission for a good laugh. You really should be looking in the mirror when making some comments!

You want to play the race card, here's a question: What is in-grained in the black culture from birth: partying, cloths, sex--let the good time role at the hard WORKING taxpayers expense. Does that sound like anybody we know. Ha, Ha

Enough laughs for this day. Got better things to do or think about! :) :) :)

March 19, 2011 at 7 p.m.
lkeithlu said...

-I did read your link-crackpot site IMHO, Rick. I suspect you didn't bother to read mine. NYT-way too liberal for you. mymy-your racism is showing; you clearly no absolutely no black folks-thanks for that helpful stereotype that is...well, just that: a stereotype.

March 19, 2011 at 7:04 p.m.
dude_abides said...

rick1 I did, and more. I have read posts from you that chide Obama for not doing enough to keep oil prices down, and now you are bothered that he didn't start bombing Libya soon enough. Your posts seem to indicate a thoughtful opinion process, but your priorities seem to change when they need to, to allow yet more criticism of the President.

March 19, 2011 at 7:11 p.m.

dude_abides said...

"Hopefully, they are not hoping that Americans die so that they can trash Obama for their own political benefit. I guess we'll see, won't we?"


What an unwarranted, hypocritical assertion. Using your logic, you could also say that die-hard Democrats are committed to blindly supporting Obama on foreign policy – short-term and long-term consequences be damned. Democrats certainly got a lot of political mileage out of the “Bush lied – millions died” mantra. Is it what you secretly wanted to happen so you could win an election? Of course not.

Questioning the timing of Obama’s decisions and course of action in light of Europe's leadership in the Libyan situation is the responsible thing to do. He's now taken action, putting our troops in harm's way, so he deserves our support. But never without questions. It’s not impossible to do both. Secretary Clinton has certainly had such questions recently. So have Democrat members of Congress. All players have political, as well as nobler, motives for what they have been saying and doing. Why the knee-jerking whenever the president is criticized?

Caution is one thing. Forcing France to lead the free world is another. And the issue is not primarily: who is taking the lead on military action. It has more to do with making the necessary public arguments in light of unfolding events, setting specific expectations, and using credible threats against Ghaddafi. Gaining the support of allies in Europe and in the region was the wise thing to do. However, it doesn't fully explain the perception that the President is indecisive. It extends beyond his loyal GOP opposition here, and it reaches to some of our allies and enemies abroad.

Nevertheless, the Commander-in-Chief is now leading, and he deserves our support.

March 19, 2011 at 7:14 p.m.
canarysong said...

My, my, yet another racist crawls out of the woodwork......

March 19, 2011 at 7:19 p.m.

Sing on. I forgot there was someone actually named my my. Blogs are SO limiting when it comes to constructive communication. Misunderstanding is virtually guaranteed and name-calling is pretty likely, at least here.

March 19, 2011 at 7:37 p.m.
lkeithlu said...

Oopies- my post should have read "know" not "no". Don't want anyone to think I was SeaFrancisMonkey.

March 19, 2011 at 7:49 p.m.
canarysong said...

wwwtw said;

"Caution is one thing. Forcing France to lead the free world is another"

This statement reminds me of a story told to me years ago when I was frustrated that I was experiencing 'burn-out' after a period of doing very stressful volunteer work. As the head of a non-profit organization I had been working for 30 to 60 hours a week, this while in poor health. I finally collapsed and was no good to anyone, including my children, for a while. The best advice I received was from an amazing and wonderful pastor who had long been working on the same types of issues.

He explained how a flock of geese functions during migration. He said that one goose flies at the head of the V formation for a while, and then it falls back to a position in the rear as another goose pulls forward to lead for a while. This not only allows the lead goose to regain its strength, but gives the next goose an opportunity to gain valuable experience in leading. He explained that this was a strength rather than a weakness, and ultimately benefited the flock. His wise words have come back to help me time and again.

It is not our place to always 'lead'; it is not only making us the target of terrorists, it is bankrupting us.

BTW;

Regarding your 7:37 post - what on earth are you talking about?

March 19, 2011 at 8:05 p.m.

canarysong said...

“He explained how a flock of geese functions during migration. He said that one goose flies at the head of the V formation for a while, and then it falls back to a position in the rear as another goose pulls forward to lead for a while. This not only allows the lead goose to regain its strength, but gives the next goose an opportunity to gain valuable experience in leading. He explained that this was a strength rather than a weakness, and ultimately benefited the flock.”


You could be right that this is his strategy. I'm not sure, though, that we will be any less a terrorist target just because we fly a few planes behind France or appoint them to be our spokesperson. It really just makes us look weak and afraid to acknowledge the fact that no one leads (realistically) unless we lead in situations like this (even when we are criticized for doing so, btw). We are not just another house in the culdesac, as someone asserted here a couple of weeks ago. No one is that foolish.

I really hope that we’re not burned out on leading. That would be bad news for many parts of the world, including Europe. And I hope our lead goose the right vision for where we need to be going. So far, I’m not impressed with Obama’s migrating instincts.

There are some domestic political dynamics going on with Sarcozy, namely, it is an election year and his foreign policy record has not been a strong suit for him. Everyone was surprised because his words over the past week were such an about face from his statements a month or two ago. Again, I hope we are not just doing a friend a favor and emptying the bench because we’ve given up on taking the leading.


As for the 7:37 post, I was addressing an earlier series of name-calling exchanges. There are so many, that it's easy to get them mixed up, so I'll go back to ignoring them (except to point out the vacuousness of comments that rely on them).

March 19, 2011 at 9:25 p.m.
alprova said...

You want to play the race card, here's a question:

While I do feel that many people object to the President because he is indeed black, I have expressed no such sentiment today, yet.

What is in-grained in the black culture from birth: partying, cloths, sex--let the good time role at the hard WORKING taxpayers expense.

Wow, you managed to express your blatant bigotry and to insult every serving President, all in one sentence, Sock Puppet.

Does that sound like anybody we know. Ha, Ha

No it doesn't, and pardon me, but you're a shining example of ignorance and male bovine excrement packed into a pair of pants.

The man has ten times the education you will ever have. He managed that all on his own and at his own expense. I doubt seriously that you could hold the man's attention in a two-minute conversation.

The man worked knee deep for almost 20 years in the slums of Chicago, to improve the existence of people you and so many more care nothing about. I know your kind -- You roll up the windows and lock your doors and pray no one looks at you sideways when you travel through rough neighborhoods. He lived there.

The man took his desire to help people a step further and ran for election in his state Senate. He won. He ran for national office as Senator and won that election too. He was then urged to run for President, and most of this nation voted for the man and despite all your inbred hatred, the man is your President and will be until January 2017.

You don't have to like it. You don't even have to be truthful in your assessments when referring to the man. But what you will never get away with in here, sock puppet, is any sense that you are in some manner superior to President Barack Obama, simply because you are white. The fact is, you aren't worthy to be a pimple on any of his four cheeks.

I don't agree with all that he has done, or has failed to do, but I sit here as a man who realizes that he has a job to do that I could never begin to qualify for. I also realize that while the buck often stops with him, he is not the only person in charge of certain things. His hands are often tied.

He has a responsibility that you could or would never have the fortitude to face up to. He is a leader and he's proven it several times over the past two years.

In conclusion, your attempt to feel superior to the man is a complete waste of your time. The fact is that you and all the other little closet bigots can't begin to compare to the man who is leading this country today, and you never will.

Obama is in the house, and that irks you to no end.

March 19, 2011 at 9:58 p.m.

canarysong said...

“This not only allows the lead goose to regain its strength, but gives the next goose an opportunity to gain valuable experience in leading.”


Getting back to your analogy, I don’t agree with Hillary Clinton very often, but what she said about Obama goes for Sarcozy, a situation like this is not the place for on-the-job training.

March 19, 2011 at 10:04 p.m.
trburrows said...

There is nothing more laughable in my opinion, than an armchair warmonger, who second guesses the President of the United States of America from the comfort of their own home.

al you all been doin this since bush #1 got elected.

March 19, 2011 at 10:19 p.m.
SeaMonkey said...

sc**w you dude..same to you alprova...whatever... dishing..ditching..i don't care.....you know what i mean...the point being obama is doing the exact same thing bush did..exactly...

you can point out my grammatical errors and my misspelllings.....if it makes you feel better..the fact is...if it makes you feel superior....you smug liberals.....

you cannot criticize bush for what he did if you aprove of what obama is doing now in libya..

March 19, 2011 at 10:28 p.m.
trburrows said...

March 19, 2011 at 9:58 p.m

alpo dont forget HE spent 20 years in chicago in rev. wrights house, and said he didnt remember. Just because you were sick dont mean you get to slide on spouting ignorance.

March 19, 2011 at 10:31 p.m.
lkeithlu said...

SeaFrancisMonkey, you can't seem to make a coherent argument or even a coherent sentence, and yet you expect folks to agree with you? Other than the rants and insults (which seem to come across just fine) you make no sense.

March 19, 2011 at 10:35 p.m.
trburrows said...

he makes alot more sense than you

March 19, 2011 at 10:37 p.m.
SeaMonkey said...

one big difference between bush and obama is that obama will apparently invade another country in order to help free an oppressed people, a people living under tyrant while on the other hand disrespect our own con- titution which was written to insure that americans stay free and our government does not become a tyranny. he's doing everything he can to make our government more intrusive and to make us less free...

obama is in fact... a hypocrite...

March 19, 2011 at 10:37 p.m.
lkeithlu said...

trburrows, you're about as clear; thanks for piping up at just the right time with your helpful and enlightening comment. It's time to go back to the sandbox now, and let the adults talk.

March 19, 2011 at 10:55 p.m.
alprova said...

WWWTW wrote: "I don’t agree with Hillary Clinton very often, but what she said about Obama goes for Sarcozy, a situation like this is not the place for on-the-job training."

Do you think that any man on Earth walks into their position as leader of a nation, who knows what to do in all circumstances?

Every situation that crops up is unique, needing experts with years on the job to advise the President in what is needed, how to approach the situation, and exactly how it is to be handled.

Back when Hillary made that statement about the 3:00 AM phone call, I laughed at the absurdity of such a statement. Just because she was Bill Clinton's wife, it never meant that she would know what to do in every case either.

If anyone has been paying attention, there have been several printed stories, outlining the fact that the President has been consulting with the experts every single day throughout all the unrest in those North African nations.

No one, and I mean no one, walks into that Oval Office prepared to handle every situation, and it would be completely unrealistic to think that anyone could be prepared to operate on that level...ever.

Key people who are elected to office are given lifetime protection AFTER they leave office, not before they are elected. Why? Because they learn those secrets on the job.

March 19, 2011 at 10:57 p.m.
alprova said...

trburrows wrote: "al you all been doin this since bush #1 got elected."

First of all, you haven't been around long enough in this forum to begin to know my position on anyone. When Bush #1 was elected, I was a died in the wool and a loyal Republican. My transformation began during the election cycle of 2004, when John Kerry was being targeted by the Republicans and their lie machine, then was solidified in 2008, when they targeted Barack Obama with even worse lies.

Second, I didn't spend my time criticizing GWB while he was in office. In fact, I often posted more in defense of the man, although I detested the sight of the man when he spoke. I could not stand watching him behind a podium. He was too arrogant and cocky.

All that aside, I have never disrespected any President in a public forum. I still haven't.

At the time that we went to war in Afghanistan, I was ambivalent on the matter. When we went into Iraq, I was very much opposed to that invasion, the way it was done.

As someone who has had a lifelong opposition to war, it's a little hard for you to accuse me of being an armchair warmonger, by any stretch of your imagination, much less mine.

March 19, 2011 at 11:14 p.m.
rick1 said...

"he man has ten times the education you will ever have. He managed that all on his own and at his own expense"

How do we know this statement to be true, he has never released any of his records from college.

"You roll up the windows and lock your doors and pray no one looks at you sideways when you travel through rough neighborhoods. He lived there."

He has lived in upscale Hyde Park section of Chicago since 1993. This is not the type of neighborhood you mentioned.

"The man worked knee deep for almost 20 years in the slums of Chicago, to improve the existence of people you and so many more care nothing about."

Might want to research the connection between Obama, Tony Resko and Obama's former boss Allsion Davis. The Chicago Sun Times (April 23, 2007) catalogued the disposition of 14 redevelopment projects where Rezko and Davis engaged Davis' old law firm while Obama worked there. After millions of dollars in government loans, the state foreclosed on 4 projects, and Rezmar Corp. walked away from 10.

Yep he improved these peoples lives

March 19, 2011 at 11:16 p.m.
dude_abides said...

w_w_w_t_w... remember this?

{Look at the movie Wag the Dog. I think this has all the elements of that movie, Rep. Jim Gibbons said. Our reaction to the embassy bombings should be based on sound credible evidence, not a kneejerk reaction to try to direct public attention away from his personal problems.

Massachusetts acting Gov. Paul Cellucci, a Republican and a movie buff, said It popped into my mind, but I do hope that thats not the situation and I trust that it isnt.

One of the first questions asked of Defense Secretary William Cohen at a nationally televised Pentagon was how he would respond to people who think the military action bears a striking resemblance to Wag the Dog.}

Please don't preach to me about decorum. If you were truly worried about "nobler" causes, you would have dumped that fascist GOP machine years ago.

March 19, 2011 at 11:19 p.m.

alprova said:

"Do you think that any man on Earth walks into their position as leader of a nation, who knows what to do in all circumstances?"


Point well taken. I was referring more to Sarkozy. Obama is listening to a lot of people. That's good. Sometimes it just doesn't seem like many people are listening to him. It's almost as if we're on autopilot when it comes to foreign policy.

Welcome back, (mostly) worthy adversary.

March 19, 2011 at 11:30 p.m.
alprova said...

Francis's Sock Puppet wrote: "sc..w you dude..same to you alprova...whatever... dishing..ditching..i don't care.....you know what i mean...the point being obama is doing the exact same thing bush did..exactly...

Stay ignorant to the proper use of a phrase. It's no skin off of anyone else's nose, and contrary to your unpopular belief, it is becoming quite a chore to figure out what you are referring to.

You may well want to compare everything that President Obama does to what GWB did, but I doubt that anyone else cares to do it. The Bush family is no longer a factor in this nation. Maybe it's time you figured that out.

"you can point out my grammatical errors and my misspelllings.....if it makes you feel better..the fact is...if it makes you feel superior....you smug liberals....."

You keep saying that, but the simple fact of the matter is that you are the only person who can improve your own image. Right now, you look like a grown man with the intelligence and typing ability of a ten year old.

It's your problem and it can indeed cause you to be viewed as a clown, so to speak. You're the only person who can fix it. No one is obligated to honor your desire for them to "deal with it."

While I would never make fun of someone who truly has a lack of education and who makes errors because of that lack of education, you claim to post your tripe intentionally.

You don't proofread. You obviously do not have a spell checking program installed on your computer. In short, you don't even try.

People who can communicate properly will always be superior to those who cannot or will not. Deal with it.

""you cannot criticize bush for what he did if you aprove of what obama is doing now in libya.."

Personally, I don't approve of our being involved in Libya. I think we should stay completely out of it. So you can't lay that one on me.

And here's something for you to mull over, Francis or whatever your name is this week -- You do not get to determine who gets to criticize Bush, or anyone else for that matter.

You'll find yourself a much more pleasant person and you might make a friend or two, when the day comes, if it ever does, that you realize that you are nothing more than a squirrel trying to get a nut.

There are many other people playing in this sandbox called The United States of America.

March 19, 2011 at 11:42 p.m.
SeaSmokie59er said...

NOTICE !! Please do not confuse me with SEAMONKEY. I happen to love this country the way it is. I serve it proudly and support our Commander-in-Chief. I don't agree with all his policies, but I do believe he is the best person for the job at present. That said, the President can go on vacation anytime he wants. So if you are still scared when Daddy goes out of town and you don't know what to do, you can post ridiculous comments on how much you miss him and can't wait for his return to criticize his decisions.

March 20, 2011 at 12:01 a.m.
trburrows said...

As someone who has had a lifelong opposition to war, it's a little hard for you to accuse me of being an armchair warmonger, by any stretch of your imagination, much less mine.

alpo i have been on this thread longer than you, so get off the horse. if you are going to give bush hell, and you have, get ready to catch o's. heah, if you want to dish it, get ready to catch it pal.

March 20, 2011 at 12:06 a.m.
trburrows said...

You may well want to compare everything that President Obama does to what GWB did, but I doubt that anyone else cares to do it. The Bush family is no longer a factor in this nation. Maybe it's time you figured that out.

alpo you idiot, you will change your mind when jeb gets in on 2012

March 20, 2011 at 12:14 a.m.
trburrows said...

its so funny how many of you fall for the trick of, i drop an acorn and libs reach down and pick it up. clay, you want one???

March 20, 2011 at 12:17 a.m.

dude_abides said...

"w_w_w_t_w... remember this?"


I'm not sure what "Wag the Dog" has to do with my comments. To my knowledge, there's no scandal to cover up, and it's not a made-up crisis. I was talking about the persistent fear of leadership that characterizes Obama’s foreign policy. And it's not just trigger-happy-fascist-Republican-devils who expected us to do more, sooner.

(AP) (March 19, 2011) “The rebels said earlier that they had hoped for more, sooner from the international community, after a day when crashing shells shook the buildings of Benghazi and Gadhafi's tanks rumbled through the university campus.

"People are disappointed, they haven't seen any action yet. The leadership understands some of the difficulties with procedures but when it comes to procedures versus human lives the choice is clear," said Essam Gheriani, a spokesman for the opposition. "People on the streets are saying where are the international forces? Is the international community waiting for the same crimes to be perpetrated on Benghazi has have been done by Gadhafi in the other cities?"

Thousands have died. Hundreds of thousands have fled. I’m glad we’re now there to help. God help us all.

March 20, 2011 at 12:30 a.m.
fairmon said...

Confucius did not say a squirrel that runs up woman's leg will not find nuts. What has really changed? This and the prior administration supported nuclear. Gitmo is still in place which is not what we were told during the race. The debt is still soaring and to the 3rd middle east country we are now going. Our last leader gave us prescription coverage now everyone gets full health care. We heard drill, drill, drill, now we hear we need to drill more but carefully. Chaney said the debt doesn't matter and the latter seems to buy that clatter. Tell me again about the "change"? Tell me again the meaning of "yes we can"? We should "hope" but it is not for more of what I had or that I am getting.

War does not determine who is right, it determines who is left. Man who fishes in another man's well often catches crabs. Are we fishing in another man's well?

March 20, 2011 at 12:32 a.m.
trburrows said...

remember, iraq-bush, now its o-lybia. your libs cant remember 2 hours ago. stick your feet in it and like it for another yr

March 20, 2011 at 12:35 a.m.
trburrows said...

harp everyone gets healthcare?????? I dont.

March 20, 2011 at 12:39 a.m.
alprova said...

Rick1 wrote: "How do we know this statement to be true, he has never released any of his records from college."

Following high school, Obama moved to Los Angeles in 1979 to attend Occidental College. In 1981 he transferred to Columbia University in NYC, where he majored in political science with a specialty in international relations and graduated with a B.A. in 1983.

In late 1988, Obama entered Harvard Law School. After graduating with a Juris Doctor (J.D.) magna cum laude from Harvard in 1991, he returned to Chicago.

Now, the above are the facts to his post high school education. There is no dispute by anyone that he attended and graduated from all the above institutions of higher learning. No one, despite any doubts whatsoever that they may hold, has any right to so much as one piece of paper pertaining to his education.

President Obama I'm sure has witnessed what happens when certain people get access to private material on public people. He has also witnessed first hand what happens even when he does disclose personal and private material to attempt to silence the rumors.

Now he says, "believe what you wish. It's your problem." I applaud him for it too.

"He has lived in upscale Hyde Park section of Chicago since 1993. This is not the type of neighborhood you mentioned."

Actually, to be factually correct, he currently resides in Kenwood, having purchased that home in 2005. Hyde Park is located South of Chicago. It's not 159th street, but it's also not Northfield either. Next time you're up there near Hyde Park, take one of the exits off the Dan Ryan in the area. I wouldn't go walking around at night, that's for sure.

As to your last point, the GOP tried in vain to attach Tony Rezco to the hip of the President throughout the year in 2008. Get real.

Any business that Rezco did with the firm the Obama worked for, did not involve Barack Obama personally or in any capacity where his actions are in question. Trust me, that was tried too. Guilt by association claims no longer interest people, because they are well aware how that stupid game is played.

http://www.factcheck.org/askfactcheck/does_obama_have_a_real_estate_problem.html

Now, if you want to post a link to the article you mentioned, I'll be happy to dissect it. Just because Barack Obama worked for a law firm that may or may not have been guilty of assisting Tony Rezco walk away from his obligations, it does not translate into anything criminal on behalf of Barack Obama.

If such accusations could be proven, they would have been proven a long time ago.

Rumors are never fact and they never will be, even when they are printed in a newspaper.

Why don't you try doing a little reading up on the man and what he actually achieved during his life before politics?

I have no doubt that you'll discover that he's not quite the monster that some have made him out to be.

March 20, 2011 at 12:46 a.m.
alprova said...

trburrows wrote:

"alpo i have been on this thread longer than you, so get off the horse. if you are going to give bush hell, and you have, get ready to catch o's. heah, if you want to dish it, get ready to catch it pal."

I'm as bothered by anything you have to say on the subject as I am bothered by a fly. Your powers of comprehension of what you read are astoundingly horrible. And that's all I have to say to you Sir on that issue.

"alpo you idiot, you will change your mind when jeb gets in on 2012"

The ONLY person less electable as President than Newt Gingrich, would have to be Jeb Bush.

But...I sure hope he runs.

March 20, 2011 at 12:54 a.m.
trburrows said...

rev louis wright..........

March 20, 2011 at 12:57 a.m.
trburrows said...

alpo you are just like bw, no back up just blabber.

March 20, 2011 at 1:02 a.m.
alprova said...

Harp3339 wrote: "Gitmo is still in place which is not what we were told during the race."

This goes along with what I referred to earlier. This is one of those areas where the President is overruled by the powers that TRULY be. The Pentagon has more power in this nation than we may know about.

"The debt is still soaring and to the 3rd middle east country we are now going."

To be technically correct, Libya is not a Middle Eastern country. Libya is located in the continent of Africa. So is Tunisia and Egypt.

March 20, 2011 at 1:05 a.m.
trburrows said...

alpo remember, aisa is europe

March 20, 2011 at 1:11 a.m.
alprova said...

trburrows wrote: "alpo you are just like bw, no back up just blabber."

This is not the first time you have written that.

Now, all you have to do is to post any challenge to anything I have written, so that I know what it is you claim to be untrue, and I'll be happy to post the proof and ruin your day.

I don't read minds, and I'd sure have more than a little trouble reading yours if I did.

In fact, the more you type, the more you appear to be another sock puppet of the resident troll.

March 20, 2011 at 1:12 a.m.
trburrows said...

alpo thank you

March 20, 2011 at 1:22 a.m.
trburrows said...

look at the cartoon, we are lobbing bombs in africa and the pres is worried about the ncaa bb tournament. go figure. bush would not do this. only a b----

March 20, 2011 at 1:25 a.m.
lkeithlu said...

Well, now we get to the heart of it. You don't like Obama because of his race. You would have saved a lot of time if you had just been forthright with this information.

March 20, 2011 at 8:09 a.m.
bree said...

most white folks are MAD because short arms john mccain got beat my a black man!!! get over it white people, no body fear the clan anymore, turn on your radio and listen to rush limp d-ck!! and dream thier no place like the the 50s60s lol

March 20, 2011 at 11:19 a.m.
Musicman375 said...

So bree, is it okay to spout racism now if it is against the "white man?" You obviously don't like white people, based on the hostility in those shameful words you just posted.

Listen up racists, you're outnumbered. The belief that any one person or group of people is better than any other person or group of people simply based on their appearance or difference of culture is absolute garbage. You do yourself no service in today's society trying to propagate such lies. Open your mind and you can learn many many good things from people who are of a different background than your own.

In case the racists on this blog don't know, the idea of racism and even the term itself (including all forms, such as 'race') was invented during the twentieth century in this country. How sad. I would say I hope you're proud of yourselves, but the sad truth is that you most likely are proud of yourselves. Again, how sad.

BTW, if anyone would like to know my race, I'll gladly tell you now and everyday until I die that I'm an American in the vast pool of the human race, and darn proud of it.

March 20, 2011 at 12:05 p.m.
RufusTFirefly said...

Based on some of the comments i see posted, if you were not opposed to and criticizing the President, i would be very concerned about my direction in life.

Your comments assure me that I'm headed in the correct and appropriate direction.

So, I thank you for your comments.

Click for More

March 20, 2011 at 12:20 p.m.
alprova said...

Musicman375 wrote: "In case the racists on this blog don't know, the idea of racism and even the term itself (including all forms, such as 'race') was invented during the twentieth century in this country."

I dunno, but something tells me that there are a group of people, who were imported into the southern region of this nation, circa the early 1800's, who might disagree with that statement.

Was there a name for what those people were back then? Probably not, but that does not change what they were and what they did.

Are you one of those nuts who desire to alter all the history books to eradicate any reference to slavery and the atrocities carried out against African-Americans back then?

"BTW, if anyone would like to know my race, I'll gladly tell you now and everyday until I die that I'm an American in the vast pool of the human race, and darn proud of it."

Being an American is not in any way a reference to your race.

Being an American is in reference to your nationality.

March 20, 2011 at 1:01 p.m.
Musicman375 said...

"Are you one of those nuts who desire to alter all the history books to eradicate any reference to slavery and the atrocities carried out against Af rican-Americans back then?"

Of course not. Slavery in this country is a shameful mark on our history. People have been enslaved for thousands of years across the globe, and it has always been horrific.

I shouldn't have said the "idea of racism" in regard to being invented in the twentieth century, you're right about that. Didn't really think that through too much, sorry. Suffice it to say the term was invented then.

"Being an American is not in any way a reference to your race.

Being an American is in reference to your nationality."

Thank you captain obvious. Are you refusing to read that part about me belonging to the "vast pool of the human race?" No need to answer. Just pointing that out.

March 20, 2011 at 1:34 p.m.
SeaSmokie59er said...

87 comments until race becomes the 'conversation'. Chattanooga you're getting better, but you still have a ways to go.

March 20, 2011 at 9:14 p.m.
fairmon said...

alprova,

Your geography is right. However, we are on the brink of a 3rd quagmire with the two we are in bankrupting this country. We didn't learn anything from Russia's experience and their near financial collapse when they were involved in Afghanistan.

Those that say we have an obligation to interfere in other countries on behalf of the people is an excuse for assuring we aren't short of oil. I can get irate when some senile or dumb member of congress talks about military strategy and how great we are and how we need to intervene etc. How can they put American lives at risk in a forsaken place where the majority have an intense dislikes for us already. In my opinion; we get involved but worry so much about political correctness and lateral damage we are fighting with our hands tied.

March 23, 2011 at 12:05 a.m.
please login to post a comment

videos »         

photos »         

e-edition »

advertisement
advertisement

Find a Business

400 East 11th St., Chattanooga, TN 37403
General Information (423) 756-6900
Copyright, Permissions, Terms & Conditions, Privacy Policy, Ethics policy - Copyright ©2014, Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc. All rights reserved.
This document may not be reprinted without the express written permission of Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc.