published Monday, March 21st, 2011

Grill called source of East Ridge fire

POLICE BRIEFS

East Ridge fire officials think a propane barbecue grill was responsible for a fire that heavily damaged a house Sunday.

Firefighters were called to 3505 Cathy Lane shortly after 5 p.m. and found a lot of fire and smoke in the house, spokesman Erik Hopkins said in a news release.

The homeowner, his wife and three children already had gotten out of the house, and firefighters quickly controlled the blaze.

Police officers also moved neighbors who reported hearing an explosion when the fire erupted.

The homeowner told East Ridge fire/arson investigators he had been grilling on the deck and noticed the flame was larger than normal. He said he turned the grill off and doused the flames with water, then went inside. An explosion and fire came a few minutes later.

Hopkins said investigators believe the propane valve didn’t shut and gas continued to flow out until it was ignited by one of several possible sources.

about Staff Report...

Get breaking news from the Times Free Press on Twitter at www.twitter.com/timesfreepress or by visiting us on Facebook or Twitter at the right:

Comments do not represent the opinions of the Chattanooga Times Free Press, nor does it review every comment. Profanities, slurs and libelous remarks are prohibited. For more information you can view our Terms & Conditions and/or Ethics policy.
please login to post a comment

Other National Articles

videos »         

photos »         

e-edition »

advertisement
advertisement
400 East 11th St., Chattanooga, TN 37403
General Information (423) 756-6900
Copyright, Permissions, Terms & Conditions, Privacy Policy, Ethics policy - Copyright ©2014, Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc. All rights reserved.
This document may not be reprinted without the express written permission of Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc.