• Name: Family Dollar store in Brainerd
• Location: 5000 Brainerd Road
• Owner: F.D. Holdings, owned by the McGauley family
• Former use: The site at Brainerd Road and Lovell Avenue was leased to the U.S. Postal Service for one of its Brainerd offices for the past half century. Part of the block also once housed a Pizza Hut restaurant before it burned. The McGauley family tore down the old Post Office building earlier this fall.
• New building: A new 8,000-square-foot Family Dollar store is being built on the site, along with customer parking and sidewalks on the one-acre site. “We think this is an ideal site, which will be accessible for both cars and pedestrian use,” said Mike McGauley, president of Fidelity Trust Co. “This store will serve a real need in the community, almost like a neighborhood market.”
• Status: The Family Dollar is expected to open in early 2012. Family Dollar has signed a 10-year lease for the site.
• Cost: The new building, parking and other development will cost about $750,000 to construct, McGauley said.
• Builder: Berry Construction Co., which has built Family Dollar stores in 37 states.
Dave Flessner is the business editor for the Times Free Press. A journalist for 35 years, Dave has been business editor and projects editor for the Chattanooga Times Free Press, city editor for The Chattanooga Times, business and county reporter for the Chattanooga Times, correspondent for the Lansing State Journal and Ingham County News in Michigan, staff writer for the Hastings Daily Tribune in Nebraska, and news director for WCBN-FM in Michigan. Dave, a native ...