• Baylor: Matthew Oellerich threw for 121 yards and the Red Raiders' only TD as they suffered their first loss of the year, 10-7 at Brentwood Academy.
• Bledsoe County: Brandon Smith ran for 113 yards and pulled in nine passes for 128 yards, scoring the deciding TD in the fourth period as the Warriors bested rival Sequatchie County 21-17.
• Boyd-Buchanan: John Hale matched teammate Chase Reed with 12 carries and 107 rushing yards and added a pair of TDs as the Buccaneers improved to 7-0 with a 48-7 victory over visiting Lancaster Christian.
• Bradley Central: Justin Houston turned in an 18-yard TD run, a two-yard TD burst and a 40-yard scoring reception, rolling up close to 200 total yards of offense as the Bears bested Rhea County 41-9 for their second 5-AAA win without a loss.
• Brainerd: Maleek Rooks has some help. Albert Wiley rushed for 102 yards (12 carries) and Sam Caffey added two runs TDs as the Panthers bested Howard 33-12 and remained a strong postseason contender by improved to 2-1 in balanced 6-AA.
• Central: Robert Cobb ran for 129 yards (24 carries), a TD and a two-point but the Pounders' postseason hopes took a jolt with their second District 6-AA loss.
• Chattanooga Christian: Levi Corbett threw a pair of touchdown passes and completed 30 of 47 passes but it wasn't enough as the Chargers fell to 7-AA rival Grundy County.
• Dade County: David Page scored from both sides, returned a fumble 68 yards in the first quarter before hauling in a 50-yard touchdown pass and running for two more scores as Dade outlasted North Murray 35-13 and evened its 7-AA record at 1-1.
• Dalton: Tre Bonds had three touchdowns and rushed for 259 yards o 30 carries as Dalton outlasted Ridgeland 28-21 and improved to 3-1 in Georgia Region 7-AA.
• East Hamilton: Logan Jackson picked up 76 yards and a TD but the Hurricanes were upset 23-21 by East Ridge in a pivotal District 6-AA game.
• East Ridge: Aaron Sternes' 20-yard run got the Pioneers off to a an early lead. They improved it from 7-0 to 21-7 and then held on to beat East Hamilton 23-21.
• Gordon Lee: Klay Durham scored all three TDs and picked up 131 yards on 27 carries as the Trojans improved to 2-3.
• Grundy County: Hayden Holland had just one catch but it was a game-clincher as the Yellow Jackets rallied for a 28-24 win on Holland's fourth-quarter, 46-yard reception. The win evened Grundy's record at 3-3.
• Heritage: Caleb Deitz scored a pair but the Generals came up short in overtime and saw their unbeaten status snapped in a 20-19 loss to Ringgold.
• Howard: JerMichael Hardy pulled in a pair of touchdown passes for both of the Tigers' scores but they weren't enough in a 33-12 loss to Brainerd.
• Hixson: Allante Novene pulled in three Justin Mathieson offerings and got his first 100-yard receiving game (103) but the Wildcats lost their straight game, 13-10 to Tyner.
• LaFayette: Devarus Porter continues to ramble, going 27 times for 230 yards and scoring three touchdowns as LaFayette outlasted Southeast Whitfield 49-28 and improved to 4-1.
• Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe: Bubba Cruz rushed for 139 yards as the Warriors won their second straight game and improved to 2-2 in Region 7-AA North with a 7-0 victory over visiting Chattooga.
• Lookout Valley: Jamal Jones scored a pair of touchdowns and ran for 181 yards on 27 carries as the Yellow Jackets improved to 2-1 in District 6-A with a 35-20 victory over Marion County.
• Marion County: Hamilton Shoemaker had touchdown runs of 12 and 18 yards and picked up 103 yards on 19 carries but the Warriors came up short, 35-20 against Lookout Valley.
• McCallie: The Blue Tornado's efficient ground game was nowhere to be found in a 33-21 loss to Battle Ground Academy and two of the Blue Tornado's scores came on an Eric Wolf fumble return and a Chad Tolliver punt return. The loss dropped McCallie to 1-3 in Division II East/Middle play.
• McMinn County: Nathan Simbeck tossed a pair of TD passes as the Cherokees rocked Walker Valley 0-10.
• Meigs County: Travis Savage rushed for 162 yards on 31 carries and scored a TD but the Tigers came up short against Sweetwater (17-14) and fell to 1-2 in District 5-AA.
• North Jackson: DaQwan Lowrance came up with three TD receptions on Kitt Grider throws and finished with five catches for 139 yards as the Chiefs moved to 6-0 with a 34-7 win over visiting Cherokee County.
• Notre Dame: Matt Reilly returned a kickoff 85 yards and also hauled in a 64-yard TD pass but the Irish fell in their first outing against Signal Mountain.
• Ooltewah: Phillip McClain rushed for 138 yards (10 carries) and the game's first touchdown as the Owls improved to 5-2 and 2-1 in 5-AAA with a 42-14 victory over Soddy-Daisy.
• Red Bank: Niquia McDuffie passed for 222 yards three touchdowns on a 16-26-1 night as the Lions improved to 3-0 in 6-AA with a 35-20 victory over Central.
• Rhea County: Desmond Sharpe rain 24 times and gained 180 yards, 76 on the Golden Eagles' lone TD, in a 41-9 loss to Bradley Central.
• Ringgold: Adam Ray kicked field goals of 34 and 30 yards and two extra points including the game-winner in overtime as the Tigers outlasted Heritage 20-19.
• Sequatchie County: Jerry Fain scored both of the Indians' TDs and rushed for 156 yards on 24 attempts but the Indians lost to rival Bledsoe 21-17 for the first District 7-AA loss.
• Signal Mountain: Reese Phillips completed 10 of 11 passes with three of those completions going for TDs and also ran for two scores as the Eagles built a 52-6 halftime lead and coasted home for a 59-18 victory over District 7-AA rival Notre Dame.
• Soddy-Daisy: Cedric Edwards gained 158 yards (30 carries) and scored two TDs but the Trojans fell to Ooltewah 42-14.
• South Pittsburg: Jajuan Lankford scored six touchdowns and rushed for 366 yards on 28 carries as the Pirates belted Whitwell 74-36.
• Tyner: So much for Tyner's running game being inconsistent. The Rams got 171 yards from Joseph Sturkey (and one of their two TDs) in a pivotal District 6-AA win over Hixson. The Rams trailed 10-7 until De'drick Calloway's 36-yard run with 5:40 left in the game.
• Walker Valley: Hunter Keefer scored the Mustangs' lone TD in a 30-10 loss to McMinn County.
• Whitwell: Justin Havis rushed for one score and passed for a pair as Whitwell put up 36 points in its game with South Pittsburg but it wasn't nearly enough as the Tigers fell 74-36.
Ward Gossett is an assistant sports editor and writer for the Times Free Press. Ward has a long history in Chattanooga journalism. He actually wrote a bylined story for the Chattanooga News-Free Press as a third-grader. He Began working part-time there in 1968 and was hired full time in 1970. Ward now covers high school athletics, primarily football, wrestling and baseball and University of Tennessee at Chattanooga wrestling. Over a 40-year career, he has covered ...
related articles »
For games of Oct. 19
Matthew Oellerich scored four rushing touchdowns and passed for another as the Red Raiders rallied from a 7-0 deficit for ...