CLEVELAND, Tenn. -- Todd Burgan from Knoxville shot a 63 Thursday at Cleveland Country Club and took a three-shot lead over second-place John Maupin, the Lee University golf coach, in the 24th annual Tennessee Mid-Amateur Championship. Jeff Golliher of Knoxville is third at 141, followed by former Lee golfers Brandon Cissom and Matt Robertson at 143 and 144. Milan's Cole Floyd and Brentwood's Robert Loudermilk are tied for sixth at 145 with Spring Hill's Josh Nelms, who grew up in Hixson. Then came Chattanooga's Jimmy White III, Lookout Mountain's Steve Johnson, Nashville's Charlie Keene and Memphis resident Erin McDonald at 146.
• JOHNS CREEK, Ga. -- Three-time Atlanta Amateur Match Play champion David Noll Jr. of Dalton was the qualifying medalist with a 4-under-par 66 for this year's tournament Thursday at Rivermont Golf and Country Club. Noll had three birdies on the front nine and edged Kennesaw's Bill Leonard by a shot as the leader of the 32 qualifiers for match play starting today. Former Baylor School standout and Signal Mountain resident Michael Morrison of Roswell, Ga., also made match play with a 71. He opens against Michael Standard of McDonough while Noll faces Chad Zorn of Lyons, Ga., today.
• Furman University rallied late to edge the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga 4-3 in overtime in Southern Conference women's soccer Thursday night at Finley Stadium. Crystal Mackezyk scored from a Becca Smith assist at 5:56 to give UTC (5-6-1, 0-5) an early lead, and Donna-Kay Henry scored from a Mackezyk pass and later assisted Smith for a 3-1 lead with 8:17 left in regulation. But Furman (8-5-1, 3-1-1) scored off a corner kick a minute later and Ali Simpson added the tying goal with less than five minutes to go in regulation. The Paladins' leading scorer for the season, Rachel Shelnutt, got her second goal of the match 2:10 into overtime.
• MONTGOMERY, Ala. -- Danielle Ciabattone and Ashley Aragona scored second-half goals to give second-ranked Lee University a 2-0 Southern States Athletic Conference win Thursday at Auburn-Montgomery. Ciabattone's goal at 51:29 came from the school-record-tying 70th career assist by senior captain Jamie Achten, and Laura Thacker had her first career assist on Aragona's score for the Lady Flames (8-2, 5-0). The AUM men (7-4-1, 5-1) edged the Lee men (6-5, 1-4) 2-1 with two goals in the last five minutes. Jaxon McClure scored for Lee from a Kwame Boamah assists at 74:05.
• CLEVELAND, Tenn. -- Christa Hutchison had 14 kills on .648 hitting and Lauren Williams had nine kills on .727 hitting as Lee University beat Campbellsville 25-17, 25-16, 25-20 in NAIA volleyball Thursday. Kelsey Leffew had 26 assists and Gretchen Higdon added 17 for the Lady Flames (15-2), while Sarah Smith had 19 digs.
• ATHENS, Tenn. -- Shalonda Fugh made 14 kills, Rachele Moretto had 13 kills and three solo blocks and Rebekah Bolis had 21 digs as Tenessee Wesleyan defeated Tennessee Temple 25-14, 23-25, 25-18, 25-14 in volleyball Thursday night. Also for TWC, Haven Carter had 18 assists and Jayme Blosser added 10, and Kaylan Powers made 10 digs. For Temple (9-16), Amy London made 19 digs, Whitney Hughes had 14 digs and four kills, Natasha Ferreti had 11 assists and four kills and Rachel Binkley had three solo blocks.
Get breaking news from the Times Free Press on Twitter at www.twitter.com/timesfreepress or by visiting us on Facebook or Twitter at the right: