In this July 5, 2011 file photo, the juror chairs sit empty in the media room at the Orange County Courthouse in Orlando, Fla., after the jury found Casey Anthony not guilty in her murder trial. On Tuesday, Oct. 25, 2011, the names of the jurors in the Casey Anthony trial were made public for the first time since they acquitted the Florida mother on charges of murdering her 2-year-old daughter, Caylee. (AP Photo/Joe Burbank, Pool, File)Photo by Associated Press /Chattanooga Times Free Press.
TAMARA LUSH,Associated Press
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP) — A judge released the names of the jurors in the Casey Anthony trial, but they were either unavailable or unwilling or to talk to the media Tuesday, going into hiding much like the mother they acquitted of murder.
It's been three months since the jurors found Anthony not guilty in the death of her 2-year-old daughter, Caylee. The verdict incensed many throughout the country who felt that Anthony was guilty, and touched off death threats and a wave of vitriol against the jurors.
Given the anger, Judge Belvin Perry delayed releasing the names of the 12 jurors and three alternates, saying he wanted a "cooling off period" to pass.
Associated Press reporters went to the homes where jurors were thought to live, but in most cases, the blinds or drapes were closed and no one answered. Dogs could be heard barking inside some of the homes. At another home, a woman who answered the door said the juror doesn't live there.
A few of the jurors spoke with various media outlets immediately after the trial, but none went into extensive details about their deliberations or the public's reaction to their decision.
Anthony was accused of killing Caylee in June 2008. After extensive searches for the little girl, her body turned up about six months later in woods near Casey's parents' home in Orlando.
Jurors were selected from Pinellas County, a few hours away on Florida's Gulf Coast, because of concerns about pretrial publicity in Orlando. The jurors were sequestered until the verdict was announced.
Prosecutors contended that Anthony — a single mother living with her parents — suffocated Caylee with duct tape because she wanted to be free to hit the nightclubs and spend time with her boyfriend. She was convicted of lying to investigators who were searching for Caylee and released from jail for time served soon after the trial ended.
She is now serving probation on an unrelated check fraud charge at an undisclosed location in Florida.
On Tuesday, the husband of alternate juror Elizabeth Jones answered the door at their home and said she was at work.
"I'll leave your card with the pile here," Mike Jones said. "But I don't think she is going to want to talk." He added that since she didn't deliberate, "she doesn't have a whole lot to say."
Anthony was deposed earlier this month in a lawsuit accusing her of ruining another woman's reputation. Anthony told detectives in 2008 that her daughter had been kidnapped by a nanny named Zenaida Gonzalez.
Detectives have said no such baby sitter existed. But an Orlando woman with the same name is suing Anthony, saying she ruined her reputation.
Follow Tamara Lush on Twitter at http://twitter.com/tamaralush
Associated Press writers Michael Schneider, Kyle Hightower, Jennifer Kay and Terry Spencer contributed to this report.
related articles »
ORLANDO, Fla. — Casey Anthony must return to Orlando within two weeks to serve a year's probation for check fraud, ...
Casey Anthony has been released from a Florida jail, 12 days after she was acquitted of murder in the death ...
Casey Anthony will have 10 more days behind bars to think about her future after authorities in Florida announced Thursday ...
Jurors were to resume deliberations today in the murder trial of Casey Anthony a day after spending about six hours ...