published Thursday, September 1st, 2011

Family of 10 escapes Dallas Bay house fire

Follow us on Twitter for the latest breaking news
7307 Sterling Road
Get directions:  To here - From here

A family of ten escaped a house fire unharmed this morning at 7307 Sterling Road after a box fan in a bedroom caught fire and spread to nearby curtains, authorities have reported.

According to the Dallas Bay Fire Department, their personnel arrived on the scene with the fire showing in a front bedroom and were able to get control of it and contain it to one bedroom within 10 minutes.

Homeowner Frank Crawford explained, “I just installed those smoke alarms in my house last week. I can’t imagine what the outcome could have been without the smoke alarms.”

Chief Marcus Fritts said “the smoke alarms saved their lives.”

According to Crawford, his grandson opened his eyes and saw fire crawling up his bedroom wall. The family quickly evacuated the house and Crawford called 911.

Crawford said he wanted to thank Fritts and his volunteer firefighters for saving his house. "Those firefighters were here so fast! I really appreciate all their help.”

Damage to the home is estimated at $10,000.

about Staff Report...

Get breaking news from the Times Free Press on Twitter at or by visiting us on Facebook or Twitter at the right:

Comments do not represent the opinions of the Chattanooga Times Free Press, nor does it review every comment. Profanities, slurs and libelous remarks are prohibited. For more information you can view our Terms & Conditions and/or Ethics policy.
please login to post a comment

Other National Articles

videos »         

photos »         

e-edition »


Find a Business

400 East 11th St., Chattanooga, TN 37403
General Information (423) 756-6900
Copyright, Permissions, Terms & Conditions, Privacy Policy, Ethics policy - Copyright ©2014, Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc. All rights reserved.
This document may not be reprinted without the express written permission of Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc.