published Wednesday, April 25th, 2012

Dogs wake owner when fire begins

A Middle Tennessee man credits his three Jack Russell terriers with saving him from a mobile home fire.

According to the Shelbyville Times Gazette, the fire broke out early Monday at the trailer where Doyce Mitchell lived.

Mitchell told the newspaper he would have died had the dogs — which he called his boys — not barked and awakened him.

The blaze began at an electrical fuse box that was mounted on an outside wall of the mobile home. Mitchell said he had been smelling burned rubber or plastic for a couple of days before the fire broke out. The walls of the trailer remained, but the inside was gutted by the fire.

Mitchell said his property was insured.

about Staff Reports...

Get breaking news from the Times Free Press on Twitter at www.twitter.com/timesfreepress

videos »         

photos »         

e-edition »

advertisement
advertisement
400 East 11th St., Chattanooga, TN 37403
General Information (423) 756-6900
Copyright, Permissions, Terms & Conditions, Privacy Policy, Ethics policy - Copyright ©2014, Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc. All rights reserved.
This document may not be reprinted without the express written permission of Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc.