Walk From Obesity
Join the 2012 Walk From Obesity at 9 a.m. Sept. 8 at the Waterside on Shallowford Road near HH Gregg. This event is open to anyone who supports the fight against obesity. Visit www.walkfromobesity.com to register and learn more. Call 899-100 for details.
Free foot screening
Foot examinations and screenings are being held in August at Rehab South Physical Therapy (all locations). Specialty guidance will be offered for therapies and stretching exercises to alleviate foot pain and disorders. Allow 15 minutes for screening. Call to schedule screening at 877-4599.
• Basic Diabetes class, 1:45 p.m. today, at Memorial Ooltewah Imaging Center. This class provides an overview of diabetes, treatment and prevention of complications. Memorial's Diabetes and Nutrition center can help you obtain a physician's referral and provide cost information. Registration required at 495-79709.
• Faith nursing classes. Memorial Health Care System will hold classes for registered nurses who want to participate in the Summer/Fall 2012 Faith Community/Parish Nursing program which begins mid-August. The 33-hour class includes three 8-hour sessions plus three 3-hour sessions over the course of two months. All six classes must be completed to fulfill course and contact hours requirements. Applicants must be registered nurses who wish to bring whole-person health and wellness to their faith community. Contact Connie Blake, FCN coordinator, at 495-6163, or email firstname.lastname@example.org for an application and tuition information.
• Free abdominal aortic aneurysm screenings are available for men and women 65 or older, to detect bulge in artery wall, with no previous diagnosis of abdominal aortic aneurysm and no abdominal CT in the past five years. Screenings during August at Memorial Hospital Glenwood, Memorial Hospital Hixson and Memorial Ooltewah. Registration and appointment required at 495-6000.
• Metabolic/bariatric surgery seminar, 6-8 p.m. Monday, at Erlanger Chattanooga Lifestyle Center. Area residents 100 or more pounds overweight and/or with health problems related to obesity can learn about the Bariatric and Metabolic Surgery Center at Erlanger. Seminar is free. Registration required.
• Breastfeeding class, 6:30-9 p.m. Tuesday, at Erlanger East (Gunbarrel Road). Learn breastfeeding basics, what to expect the first few weeks and special tips for success. Concerns about returning to work or school also will be discussed. Coordinated by a board-certified lactation consultant. Registration fee: $30.
• Childbirth education class/series, 5:30-9:30 p.m. Wednesday, at Erlanger East (Gunbarrel Road), is designed for expectant parents and is taught by experienced OB nurses. Classes includes stages of labor, relaxation and labor-support techniques, hospital procedures, pain-management options, after birth/home care for moms and in-hospital care for newborns. Question/answer session. Registration fee: $75.
• For the above classes, call Erlanger's HealthLink at 778-5465 to register.
The Gastric Band Institute will hold free seminars on gastric banding (Lap-Band and Realize Band) and the new sleeve procedure for people 75 pounds overweight at 5:30 p.m. Wednesday and 11:30 a.m. Aug. 22 at Chattanooga Bariatrics, 7405 Shallowford Road. Call 899-1000 for reservations. Free insurance verification.
Items for this column are due the Friday before Thursday's publication date. Write to Linda Weaver, P.O. Box 1447, Chattanooga, TN 37401-1447; fax 668-5071; email email@example.com.