published Thursday, August 9th, 2012

Charges dismissed for man accused in 2010 North Shore robberies

Ricky Davis is seen in this file photo.
Ricky Davis is seen in this file photo.
Photo by Dan Henry /Chattanooga Times Free Press.

Charges were formally dismissed today for a man who was arrested for a series of home invasions in the North Shore area in 2010.

Ricky Davis, 26, was charged with multiple residential burglaries and robberies in the summer of 2010.

But in March, Judge Barry Steelman ruled that the evidence gathered by Chattanooga Police investigators with a GPS tracking device cannot be used because they did not get a warrant for it, first.

He cited a similar case that the U.S. Supreme Court had issued an opinion about in 2011, stating that an up-to-date warrant is required for any GPS tracking.

“The state no longer has that evidence, so they can’t confirm or deny those allegations,” said Davis’ attorney Chris Dixson.

Before his 2010 arrest, Davis had been in state prison from 2006 to 2010 for guilty pleas on aggravated burglaries in the same area of town.

After the dismissal, Davis, who still denies the allegations against him, said that he had work lined up at a recycling company and was writing a book about his experiences.

“He has been very patient throughout this whole ordeal, and we are just glad to see this all resolved,” Dixson said.

Other National Articles

videos »         

photos »         

e-edition »

advertisement
advertisement
400 East 11th St., Chattanooga, TN 37403
General Information (423) 756-6900
Copyright, Permissions, Terms & Conditions, Privacy Policy, Ethics policy - Copyright ©2014, Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc. All rights reserved.
This document may not be reprinted without the express written permission of Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc.