The oldest businesses still operating in Chattanooga are:
1. The Read House hotel, started as the Crutchfield House in 1847.
2. T.H. Payne began as Patten and Payne in 1865 and later became Corporate Express.
3. The Chattanooga Times Free Press, begun as The Chattanooga Times in 1869
4. Chattanooga Gas Co., started in 1869
5. Fischer Evans Jewelers, started in 1869
Source: Chattanooga Area Chamber of Commerce, Chattanooga Public Library
Dave Flessner is the business editor for the Times Free Press. A journalist for 35 years, Dave has been business editor and projects editor for the Chattanooga Times Free Press, city editor for The Chattanooga Times, business and county reporter for the Chattanooga Times, correspondent for the Lansing State Journal and Ingham County News in Michigan, staff writer for the Hastings Daily Tribune in Nebraska, and news director for WCBN-FM in Michigan. Dave, a native ...