The U.S. Bureau of Census reported last week that 15.9 percent of all American households and 18.3 percent of all Tennessee households were in poverty in 2011. Among Tennessee's 95 counties, those with the highest poverty rates were:
1. Lake County 43.7 percent living in poverty
2. Hancock County 33.8 percent in poverty
3. Grundy County 31.2 percent in poverty
4. Lauderdale County 30.7 percent in poverty
5. Campbell County 28.8 percent in poverty
Source: 2011 estimates for county poverty rates, U.S. Bureau of the Census
Get breaking news from the Times Free Press on Twitter at www.twitter.com/timesfreepress or by visiting us on Facebook or Twitter at the right:
related articles »
Since the 2010 census, the fastest growing counties in Tennessee among counties of more than 10,000 people were all in ...
The Tennessee counties with the highest median household income in 2011 are concentrated around Nashville in Middle Tennessee.
Signal Mountain is the best place in Tennessee to raise children, according to a new rating of small towns by ...