IF YOU GO
What: Con Nooga fandom convention.
When: 2 p.m. today-3 p.m. Sunday.
Where: Chattanooga Choo Choo, 1400 Market St.
Admission: $40 for a three-day pass; single-day passes $20 today, $30 Saturday and $10 Sunday; free for ages 6 and younger.
Venue website: www.connooga.com.
Less than a month after Chattacon, Chattanooga's longest-running fandom convention, the Choo Choo once again will open its doors to the costumed masses this weekend for the return of Con Nooga.
Like Chattacon, Con Nooga programming targets fans of a variety of pop-culture subgenres, including Japanese animation, horror movies and science-fiction TV series, but there also are event tracks catering to literary fans.
Among this year's guests of honor is M.B. Weston, the author of The Elysian Chronicles fantasy trilogy, former radio-show host and frequent guest speaker at writing conferences.
* Star Wars Younglings, 2-3 p.m. today, American Car: Star Wars activity with a kid-friendly bent.
* Costume contest, 6-8 p.m. Saturday, Imperial Ballroom.
* Dr. Shock presents George Romero's horror classic "Night of the Living Dead," 8-10 p.m. Saturday, Finley Lecture Hall.
* The Dungeon, gothic, alternative and industrial dance music, 9 p.m.-midnight Saturday, Imperial Ballroom.
* Battle of the Makeup, team competition to achieve the best makeup effects on a model, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Sunday, Imperial Ballroom.
* Big Wheel Racing, "Ben Hur's chariot race substituting plastic toddler toys for horse-drawn chariots, 12:30-2 p.m. Sunday, outside the Exhibitor Hall.
Casey Phillips has worked as a features reporter in the Life department since May 2007. He writes about entertainment, young adults, technology and people of interest. Casey hails from Knoxville and earned a bachelor of science degree in journalism and a bachelor of arts in German. He previously worked as the features editor for Sidelines at Middle Tennessee State University. Casey received the East Tennessee Society of Professional Journalists Award of Excellence for Reviewing/Criticism in ...
related articles »
Sci-fi expo expands scope, starts Friday
Like the Hulk suddenly discovering that Bruce Banner's pants are a few sizes too small, the organizers of Con Nooga ...
Wizards, apocalypse survivors unite this weekend
Stormtroopers dancing cheek and jowl with Klingons. Wizards staring down pirates over a game of "Settlers of Catan."
Rex Hickey's costume turned heads Friday at ConNooga 2012.
For the fourth iteration of the Con Nooga multigenre fandom convention, programming director Jeff Hickey wants guests to be overwhelmed ...