The Multiple Myeloma Networking Group meets tonight at 6 p.m. at Memorial Center for Cancer Support, Memorial Plaza Building, Suite 307, 605 Glenwood Drive (next to Memorial Hospital). Dr. Darrell Johnson of Chattanooga Oncology & Hematology Associates will summarize the top developments in Multiple Myeloma research. Complimentary dinner served. For information, call Jack or Linda Huguelet at 886-3554 or visit www.chattanooga.myeloma.org.
The free Complimentary Health Education Organization meeting will be held Sunday, 2-4 p.m., at Eastgate Mall, 5600 Brainerd Road. Presenters include Terri Brower, R.N., Ph.D., and Stephen Feely, instructor at Four Winds Society. For information, contact Donna McMillan at 629-1935 or DMReiki@yahoo.com.
If you are more than 75 pounds overweight and want to participate in a research study with sleeve stomach plication, call 899-1000 or visit www.gastricbandinstitute.com for information.
Memorial Health Care System's Mobile Mammogram Coach will provide mammogram screenings to women age 40 and over, with or without insurance, who have not had a mammogram in the last 12 months. Held June 29, 10 a.m.-3 p.m. at the Bledsoe County Fairgrounds, 234 Allen P. Deakins Road, Pikeville, Tenn. To schedule appointment, call Memorial's MaryEllen Locher Breast Center at 423-495-4040 or toll free at 866-591-2254.
• Free abdominal aortic aneurysm screening for men and women 65 or older, to detect bulge in artery wall, with no previous diagnosis of abdominal aortic aneurysm and no abdominal CT in the past five years. Screenings Monday-June 29, at Memorial Hospital, Memorial Hospital Hixson and Memorial Ooltewah. Registration and appointment required. Call 495-6000.
• Diabetes basics and diet class. This program provides an overview of diabetes, treatment, prevention of complications, diabetes meal planning and carbohydrate counting. Held 8:45 a.m-3 p.m. Monday at Diabetes and Nutrition Centers at Memorial Hospital Hixson and 8:45 a.m.-2:30 p.m. June 29, at Memorial Hospital. Memorial's centers can help obtain physician's referral and provide cost information. Registration required. Call 495-7970.
• Metabolic/bariatric surgery seminar, 6-8 p.m. Monday, at Erlanger East on Gunbarrel Road. Area residents 100 or more pounds overweight and/or with health problems related to obesity can learn about the Bariatric and Metabolic Surgery Center at Erlanger. Seminar is free. Registration required.
• Cholestech lipid and glucose screening at Erlanger North (Morrison Springs Road), 8 a.m.-noon, Wednesday. Results while you wait. A lipid panel shows HDL, LDL, total cholesterol, non-HDL, cholesterol ratio and triglycerides. Twelve-hour fast required for accurate result. No eating or drinking coffee prior to test; drink water the night before and morning of testing. Reservations required. No walk-ins. Lipid plus glucose, $25.
• PSA screening, 8-11 a.m., Wednesday, at Erlanger North on Morrison Springs Road. PSA test screens for prostate cancer in men before symptoms appear by a quick blood draw from the arm with results mailed later. Must be at least 50 years old, unless ages 45-50 with family history of prostate cancer. Cost: $15. Registration required.
• Call Erlanger's HealthLink at 778-5465 for information or to register for the above listings.
Items for this column are due the Friday before Thursday's publication date. Write to Linda Weaver, P.O. Box 1447, Chattanooga, TN 37401-1447; fax 668-5071; e-mail lweaver@timesfree press.com.