published Wednesday, March 7th, 2012

New trial date set for Myles Stout in shooting death of teenager

Myles Stout stands quietly as attorneys Hank Hill, left, and Mike Little converse with Assistant District Attorney Lance Pope during a preliminary hearing in Judge Barry A. Steelman's courtroom in the case involving the shooting death of Myles Compton.
Myles Stout stands quietly as attorneys Hank Hill, left, and Mike Little converse with Assistant District Attorney Lance Pope during a preliminary hearing in Judge Barry A. Steelman's courtroom in the case involving the shooting death of Myles Compton.
Photo by Dan Henry.

Attorneys and a judge agreed Tuesday to move a 21-year-old's second-degree murder trial to September.

Myles Stout had been scheduled to go on trial Tuesday in the March 9, 2011, shooting death of 18-year-old Myles Compton. But his attorneys, Hank Hill and Mike Little, requested time to review evidence and a weapons test conducted by experts for the prosecution.

Hamilton County Criminal Court Judge Barry Steelman set out a detailed timeline leading into the trial. Attorneys must file motions by July 9, the final pretrial conference is scheduled for Aug. 6 and the trial is set for Sept. 4.

Assistant District Attorney Lance Pope said the prosecution will be ready on the scheduled dates.

Stout faces charges of second-degree murder, reckless endangerment and reckless homicide in the shooting. He has been free on bond since last summer.

Compton was shot by Stout during a get-together at a home in Hixson, police said. Stout said he didn't know the Sig Sauer 9 mm pistol was loaded when he pointed it at Compton's chest and pulled the trigger, but authorities say he loaded it before pointing it at Compton.

Prosecutors had the Sig Sauer 9 mm handgun tested for functionality by a weapons expert. Hill had received the test results and said in court he may have his own expert further test the weapon.

On Feb. 15, Compton's father, Jesse Compton, filed a $10 million wrongful death lawsuit in Hamilton County Circuit Court against Stout and others who were at the party when Myles Compton died.

Also named in the lawsuit are Kevin Driscoll and his parents, Jerry and Patricia, who own the gun and are accused of allowing minors to drink in their East Brainerd home the night Compton died. Also named is Mapco Express Inc., whose store in Hixson is accused of selling alcohol to the minors.

Kevin Driscoll and Stout were drinking at the Driscoll house and invited Myles Compton and a friend to the home where they "could drink openly," according to court documents.

Driscoll showed Compton two handguns, ensuring they were unloaded, documents state. Driscoll heard the gun being loaded by Stout, according to the lawsuit, then Stout pointed the gun at several people, pushed the weapon's barrel into Compton's chest and fired.

about Todd South...

Todd South covers courts, poverty, technology, military and veterans for the Times Free Press. He has worked at the paper since 2008 and previously covered crime and safety in Southeast Tennessee and North Georgia. Todd’s hometown is Dodge City, Kan. He served five years in the U.S. Marine Corps and deployed to Iraq before returning to school for his journalism degree from the University of Georgia. Todd previously worked at the Anniston (Ala.) Star. Contact ...

Other National Articles

videos »         

photos »         

e-edition »

advertisement
advertisement
400 East 11th St., Chattanooga, TN 37403
General Information (423) 756-6900
Copyright, Permissions, Terms & Conditions, Privacy Policy, Ethics policy - Copyright ©2014, Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc. All rights reserved.
This document may not be reprinted without the express written permission of Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc.