Memorial Health Care System's Mobile Mammogram Coach will provide mammogram screenings to women age 40 and over, with or without insurance, who have not had a mammogram in the last 12 months. Held at the Piggly Wiggly Supermarket, 17619 State Highway 58 N., Decatur, TN (Meigs County), 9 a.m.-4 p.m., Friday, June 8. To schedule an appointment, call Memorial's MaryEllen Locher Breast Center at 495-4040 or toll free 866-591-2254.
The Gastric Band Institute will hold free seminars on gastric banding (Lap-Band and Realize Band) and the new sleeve procedure for people 75 pounds overweight on Wednesday at 5:30 p.m., and June 13 at 11:30 a.m. at the Gastric Band Institute, 7405 Shallowford Road. Call 423-899-1000 for reservations. Free insurance verification.
• Faith nursing classes. Memorial Health Care System will hold classes for registered nurses who want to participate in the Summer/Fall 2012 Faith Community/Parish Nursing program that begins mid-August. The 33-hour class includes three eight-hour sessions and three three-hour sessions over the course of two months. All six classes must be completed to fulfill course and contact hours requirements. Must be a registered nurse who wishes to bring whole-person health and wellness to their faith community. Contact Connie Blake, FCN coordinator, at 495-6163 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for an application and tuition information.
• Weight loss: Attend this free bariatric seminar to learn more about the Gastric Bypass Roux-en-Y and gastric banding weight-loss procedures. Geared toward individuals at least 100 pounds overweight. Held 6-7:30 p.m. Wednesday, Memorial Hospital community rooms. Call 495-2245 for reservations.
• Basic diabetes. This two-session program, which provides an overview of diabetes, treatment and prevention of complications, is held at Diabetes and Nutrition Center at Memorial Hospital, Wednesday, 1:15 p.m. The second session meets June 13. The center can help obtain a physician's referral and provide cost information. Registration required at 495-7970.
• Metabolic/bariatric surgery seminar, 6-8 p.m. Monday, at Erlanger Chattanooga Lifestyle Center. Area residents 100 or more pounds overweight or with health problems related to obesity can learn about Erlanger's Bariatric and Metabolic Surgery Center. Seminar is free. Registration required.
• Childbirth education class/series, 5:30-9:30 p.m. Wednesday, at Erlanger East (Gunbarrel Road), is designed for expectant parents and is taught by experienced OB nurses. Classes includes stages of labor, relaxation and labor-support techniques, hospital procedures, pain-management options, after-birth and homecare for moms and in-hospital care for newborns. Question/answer session. Registration fee: $75.
• Cholestech lipid and glucose screenings at Erlanger East (Gunbarrel Road), 8 a.m.-noon, Wednesday. Results while you wait. A lipid panel shows HDL, LDL, total cholesterol, non-HDL, cholesterol ratio and triglycerides. 12-hour fast required for accurate results. No eating or drinking coffee prior to testing; drink water the night before and morning of testing. Reservations required. No walk-ins. Lipid plus glucose, $25.
• PSA screening, 8-11 a.m., Wednesday, at Erlanger East (Gunbarrel Road). PSA test screens for prostate cancer in men before symptoms appear by a quick blood draw from the arm with results mailed later. Must be at least 50 years old, unless between ages 45-50 with family history of prostate cancer. Cost: $15. Registration required. Call Erlanger's Healthlink at 778-5465 for information or to register on the above listings.
Items for this column are due the Friday before Thursday's publication date. Write to Linda Weaver, P.O. Box 1447, Chattanooga, TN 37401-1447; fax 668-5071; e-mail email@example.com.
related articles »
Rehab South is hosting a free four-part Senior Learning Session Series, including lessons on balance impairment and fall prevention.
The Chattanooga affiliate of the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network announces PurpleSride Chattanooga 2012 will be held Saturday, Nov. 10, at ...