Pancreatic cancer fundraiser run
The Chattanooga affiliate of the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network announces PurpleSride Chattanooga 2012 will be held Saturday, Nov. 10, at the First Tennessee Pavilion. This 5K timed run and 1-mile fun walk is to raise awareness and funds for pancreatic cancer. Enjoy live music and kids activities. Register online at www.purple stride.org/chattanooga. For more information, call Edith Snider at 240-5282.
The Caregivers Group of St. Peter's Episcopal Church will meet at 1:30 p.m., Thursday, Nov. 8, in the Bracewell Room of the church at 848 Ashland Terrace. The guest speaker is Carol Burhenn, R.N., parish nurse from Trinity Lutheran Church. Her topic is "Caring for Yourself When You're the Caregiver." All are welcome. For more information, please call 877-2428.
• Senior Helpers (in-home senior care) and Wellington Place of Hixson will provide free, confidential memory screenings in conjunction with National Alzheimer's Disease Awareness Month. Held 9 a.m.-3 p.m., Tuesday, Nov. 13, at Wellington Place of Hixson, 4515 Hixson Pike, Hixson. For information, call 423-710-1500.
• Memory screening at Erlanger North (Morrison Springs Road), 9 a.m.-noon, Tuesday (Oct. 6). Jennifer Hindmon, R.N., of Erlanger North Senior's Unit, will administer the Mini Mental Status Exam to determine problems that need to be discussed with your physician. Appointments are limited; registration is required by calling 778-5465.
• Diabetes Education Class, 1:30-4:30 p.m. Monday, at Erlanger Chattanooga Lifestyle Center. This class will explore ways to manage diabetes. Call 778-9400 for information on physician referral and insurance reimbursement.
• Basic diabetes. This two-session program provides an overview of diabetes, treatment, prevention of complications, diabetes meal planning and carbohydrate counting. First session is 1:15 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. Wednesday. Second session is Nov. 14 at Diabetes and Nutrition Center at Memorial Hospital. The center can help obtain a physician's referral and provide cost information. Registration by calling 495-7970.
• Attend this free bariatric seminar to learn more about gastric bypass Roux-en-Y and gastric banding weight-loss procedures. Geared toward individuals at least 100 pounds overweight. Held from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Wednesday at Memorial Hospital's community rooms. Call 495-2245 for reservations.
• Free metabolic and bariatric surgery seminar, 6-8 p.m., Wednesday, at Erlanger Baroness (Oncology Conference Room). Area residents who are overweight and/or with health problems related to obesity can learn about the Bariatric and Metabolic Surgery Center at Erlanger. Registration required by calling Erlanger's HealthLink at 778-5465.
• Chattanooga Bariatrics will hold a free seminar on gastric banding (Lap-Band and Realize Band) and the new sleeve procedure for people 75 pounds overweight, 5:30 p.m. Wednesday, at its office at 7405 Shallowford Road #160. Call 899-1000 for reservations. Free insurance verification.
Baby care and safety
Register now for the baby care and safety class from 6 to 8 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 8, Erlanger at Hutcheson (Women's Center). Learn about caring for your baby at home. Registration is free if the mother is planning to deliver at Hutcheson or $5 if delivering at another location. Call Erlanger's HealthLink at 778-5465 to register.
Items for this column are due the Friday before Thursday's publication date. Write to Linda Weaver, P.O. Box 1447, Chattanooga, TN 37401-1447; fax 668-5071; email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get breaking news from the Times Free Press on Twitter at www.twitter.com/timesfreepress