For all the hubbub surrounding Election Day on Tuesday, America will pay tribute to true heroes on the following Sunday, Nov. 11. Several events and promotions are on the calendar in the Chattanooga area to mark Veterans Day, starting with these early honors.
* USO Dance: Wear your best patriotic attire and don't forget your dancing shoes as the Chattanooga Area Veterans Council presents a USO Dance 6:30-10 p.m. Friday, Nov. 2, at American Legion Blair Post 95, 3329 Ringgold Road, East Ridge. The family-friendly event includes door prizes, games, contests and food. Cost is $15. Proceeds will help fund year-round activities coordinated by the Veterans Council. For more information, call 326-0839.
* Rummage sale: VFW Post 1289, 6011 Lee Highway, will host a rummage sale from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 3, to support troops and veterans. A 10- by 10-foot space may be rented for $10, and vendors keep their proceeds. Call 899-2298 for more information.
* 5K and 1-mile walk: Ringgold Market and Chattanooga Market are sponsoring a 5K run and 1-mile walk at the Catoosa County Colonnade's Benton Place campus in Ringgold, Ga., at 9 a.m. Saturday, Nov. 3. Registration starts at 8:30 a.m. on-site or may be completed in advance at Active.com. The event will benefit the Wounded Warrior Project, an organization that seeks to honor and empower veteran wounded warriors.
* Musical journey: "War Bonds: The Songs and Letters of WWII," described as a musical journey through a war that redefined the world, will be presented at 7 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 6, at the Gem Theatre, 114 N. Wall St., in Calhoun, Ga. This multimedia living-history cabaret from EbzB Productions is interspersed with personal letters from the front and headline news of the period. Songs include "Love Letters," "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy," "Don't Sit Under the Apple Tree" and "This Is the Army, Mr. Jones." Tickets are $15 adults, $10 seniors and veterans, $5 students. To purchase, call 706-625-3132 or visit www.calhoungem.org.
n Low-cost haircuts: V's Student Cosmetology Services at Virginia College, 721 Eastgate Loop Road, is offering a reduced rate for veterans as a way to say "thank you for your service." During November, veterans can receive a $4 haircut by dropping by the full-service, student-run retail operation, no appointment necessary. Hours are 10:30 a.m.-3 p.m. Tuesday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturdays. All services at V's are provided by students under the supervision of licensed cosmetology instructors.
For more information, call 893-2025 or visit vccosmo.com.
The following events are scheduled over the Veterans Day weekend. Look for more information in next Thursday's ChattanoogaNow. To have your event included, submit it to www.ChattanoogaNow.com.
* Brass concert: As part of the annual Festival of Flags in Ringgold, Ga., the Jericho Brass will present a patriotic performance at 3 p.m. Nov. 11 at the Ringgold Depot, corner of Depot Street and U.S. 41. Free admission. 706-935-3061.
* Classical concert: The Chattanooga Symphony & Opera and the CSO Chorus will present a Veterans Day concert at 3:30 p.m. Nov. 11 at Memorial Auditorium, 399 McCallie Ave. Free admission. 267-8583.
* Eat, dance, chat: Creekside at Shallowford, an independent senior living community, plans a Veterans Fireside Chat at 7 p.m. Nov. 9 and a Salute to Veterans Barbecue, followed by a dance, 12:30-3 p.m. Nov. 10. To RSVP, call 485-9933.
* Lookout Valley tribute: Lookout Valley Neighborhood Association will honor veterans, living and deceased, in ceremonies at 7 p.m. Nov. 8 at the John A. Patten Center, 3202 Kellys Ferry Road. Guest speaker will be VFW Post 3679 Cmdr. William Sandberg. Flags will be posted by Ridgeview High School JROTC Color Guard. To provide names of veterans to include, call 825-5665 or 825-5325 or email RonLH@epbfi.com.
* Quesos for Heroes: This promotion at Abuelo's Mexican restaurant will donate $1 for every Chile con Queso appetizer sold Nov. 9-11 to Operation Homefront, which provides emergency financial relief and other assistance to families of service members and wounded warriors. An additional donation will be made if the chain reaches a 30,000 Facebook fan threshold by Nov. 11. Find out more at www.abuelos.com.
Get breaking news from the Times Free Press on Twitter at www.twitter.com/timesfreepress or by visiting us on Facebook or Twitter at the right:
related articles »
Community concert at Memorial Auditorium
Abuelo’s Mexican Food Embassy offers holiday gift cards, on-site and off-site catering
Abuelo’s Mexican Food Embassy features a gift card special for the holidays and encourages diners to enjoy fresh Mexican entreés ...
A weekend warmup to Labor at the Post celebration takes place Saturday when the 6th Cavalry Museum hosts "Remembering Our ...