Events and seminars
• Basic QuickBooks Workshop from 8 a.m. to noon Tuesday at The INCubator, 100 Cherokee Blvd. Hosted by the Tennessee Small Business Development Center, this step-by-step workshop walks attendees through the process of setting up business finances in QuickBooks. Fee: $95. Cal 756-8668 for more information and to register.
• 2012 Spirit of Innovation Awards at 11:30 a.m. Tuesday at the Chattanooga Convention Center, 1150 Carter St. The Chattanooga Chamber will honor four Chattanooga area companies as finalists for the 2012 Spirit of Innovation Award. To reserve a spot at the luncheon, please contact the Chamber Events Hotline at 763-4366 or events@ chattanoogachamber.com.
• Better Business Bureau Open House from 3 to 6 p.m. Tuesday at 508 N. Market St.
• An Hour with a Bookkeeper from 1 to 2 p.m. Thursday at The INCubator, 100 Cherokee Blvd. Lynn Talbott of HR Business Solutions LLC, will review common bookkeeping mistakes small business owners should avoid. Hosted by the Tennessee Small Business Development Center, this event is free and open to the public. Call 756-8668 to register.
• End of Year Tax and Independent Contractor Seminar from 8 to 10 a.m. Wednesday at The INCubator, 100 Cherokee Blvd., by Linda Tracy Gill of Hazlett, Lewis & Bieter, PLLC. Call 756-8668 for more information and to register.
• Ooltewah/Collegedale Council Meeting from 9:15 to 10:30 a.m. Wednesday at Collegedale City Hall, 4910 Swinyar Drive. Mike Gloekler of McKee Foods will speak on "Effective Public Relations for Small Businesses." No meeting cost.
• Ribbon Cutting for Integra Hills Apartment Homes from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. Wednesday at 9198 Integra Hills Lane
• An Hour with My Attorney from 11 a.m. to noon Wednesday at The INCubator, 100 Cherokee Blvd. Attorney Chuck Fisher will explore leases, contracts, powers of attorney, corporate meetings and other topics of interest. Call 756-8668 to register.
• MidTown Council Meeting at 11:45 a.m. Wednesday at the Out of the Blue Café, 3230 Brainerd Road. Jenni Hobbs of Sandler Training will speak on "The Seven Sins of Negotiating." Meetings cost is $10.
• Enterprise Gateway Council Meeting at 8:30 a.m. Thursday at WTCI-TV, the PBS station at 7540 Bonnyshire Drive. Terri Hart, president of the Chattanooga Metropolitan Airport, will speak. Meeting cost is $10.
• North Hamilton County Council Meeting at noon Thursday at Budweiser of Chattanooga, 200 Shearer St. Ronnie Dodd of Dodd & Associates Training will speak on "Personal Safety." Meeting cost is $10.
• Urban League Entrepreneur Center Workshop from 5:30 to 7 p.m. Thursday at the Urban League, 730 M.L. King Blvd. This new seminar series titled "How to do Business with ..." is geared toward small minority businesses that would like to have the opportunity to bid on projects with large corporations in Chattanooga. The first seminar will be held in conjunction with EPB's Diversity Department. Contact Nicole Burney at nburney @ulchatt.net to RSVP.
• Small Business Orientation from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Thursday at The INCubator, 100 Cherokee Blvd. The counselor discusses basic business planning including financial projections and legal entity. Call 756-8669 to register.
• Legal Advising at CO.LAB from 1 to 4 p.m. Thursday at The CO.LAB, 55 E. Main St. Chambliss, Bahner & Stophel P.C. will offer legal advice to local small businesses and start ups. Contact Allison Reedy at email@example.com or 423-648-2195 to sign up for a 30-minute time slot.
Get breaking news from the Times Free Press on Twitter at www.twitter.com/timesfreepress