* TenneSEA/CaribbeanSEA benefit: The Gear Closet, 535 Cherokee Blvd., 10 a.m.-5 p.m., donations of outdoor gear and equipment accepted for resale. Proceeds support clean water education efforts in Chattanooga and the Caribbean. 413-0471.
* Brave New Word poetry show: The Camp House, 1427 Williams St., 8 p.m. doors open, 9 p.m. show begins, $8 or $2 for college students with ID. Performances by Britni Bridgeforth, LaJuan White, Janelle Jackson and featured guest Catherine the Great of Augusta, Ga. email@example.com
* Georgia Trail of Tears Chapter: Chattooga County Historical Society, located in old Summerville Train Depot, 120 E. Washington Ave., Summerville, Ga., 10:30 a.m., visitors welcome. Bill Barker speaks on his efforts to get sites and roads in Chattooga County added to the Trail of Tears National Historic Trail. 770-757-0931.
* Lee Parade of Favorites: Lee University, Conn Center, Cleveland, Tenn., 7 p.m., free. Annual talent showcase celebrates 50 years with music of five decades. 614-8406.
* 55-Plus Club: Collegedale Seventh-day Adventist Church fellowship hall, 4829 College Drive East, 11:30 a.m. vegetarian potluck lunch followed by program at noon. Professor Lisa Clark Diller, chairwoman of the Southern Adventist University History Department, speaks on "The Golden Age of Piracy" and how it shaped the world we have inherited. 591-4779.
* Red Bank Neighborhood Pride Association: Red Bank Community Center behind Erlanger North off Morrison Springs Road, 6:30 p.m., visitors welcome to final meeting of the year. Greg James, new Codes Enforcement Officer for the city of Red Bank, is guest speaker.
* Hamilton County Republican Women: GOP headquarters, 1428 Chestnut St., Suite E, 11:30 a.m., visitors welcome. Lunch reservations required: 266-6855.
* NAACP meeting: Glenwood Recreation Center, 2610 E. Third St., 5:30 p.m., visitors welcome. 697-1284.
Susan Palmer Pierce is a reporter and columnist in the Life department. She began her journalism career as a summer employee 1972 for the News Free Press, typing bridal announcements and photo captions. She became a full-time employee in 1980, working her way up to feature writer, then special sections editor, then Lifestyle editor in 1995 until the merge of the NFP and Times in 1999. She was honored with the 2007 Chattanooga Woman of ...