For games of Nov. 9
(Coaches are invited to make nominations. Send an e-mail to Ward Gossett at firstname.lastname@example.org by 6 p.m. each Saturday.)
* Baylor: Michael O'Connor had a TD toss among his 172 passing yards but the Red Raiders' season ended with a 20-13 loss to Memphis University School.
* Boyd-Buchanan: Jim Cardwell completed seven of 10 passes for 54 yards and two TDs and rushed for 120 yards as the Bucs moved into the quarterfinals of the Tennessee Class 2A state playoffs.
* Calhoun: Taylor Lamb played just 20 snaps but completed nine of 10 passes for 172 yards and two TDs as the Yellow Jackets finished off an undefeated regular season.
* Dalton: Kelvis Rhodes scored a pair of TDs and ran 17 times for 182 yards in the Catamounts' 42-0 win over Pickens County.
* East Hamilton: Lamond Greer scored a TD and ran for 183 yards as the Hurricanes advanced to the Class 4A state quarterfinals with a 35-14 victory over Page.
* Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe: Pooh Harden gained 230 yards on 20 carries as the Warriors bested Sonoraville 37-7.
* Marion County: Blake Zeman scored four TDs and rushed 19 times for 143 yards as the Warriors advanced to the 2A quarterfinals with a 48-21 victory over Trousdale County.
* McMinn County: Kelvin Wells ran for 102 yards and a TD but the Cherokees' Class 6A playoff run ended with a 31-6 loss to Murfreesboro Riverdale.
* Ooltewah: Desmond Pittman scored a pair of TDs and gained 108 yards on 33 carries as the Owls moved on in the TSSAA Class 5A playoffs with a 31-7 win over Lenoir City.
* Ridgeland: Trevor Long threw a TD pass, one of four completions in eight attempts for 105 yards as the Panthers swatted River Ridge 48-14.
* Ringgold: Slade Dale threw for 51 yards and rushed for 71 but the Tigers lost 42-7 to Cartersville.
* Silverdale Baptist: Josh Rogers ran for 51 yards and caught two passes for 105 yards but the Seahawks lost to Knox Grace Christian 28-20 in the second round of the 2A state playoffs.
* South Pittsburg: Demetric Johnson had an interception that killed one Gordonsville drive and also scored both of South Pittsburg's TDs while rushing for 117 yards in a 14-13 loss.
* Trion: Kingston Lanier scored a pair of TDs and ran for 107 yards in a 16-7 win over Whitefield Academy.
Ward Gossett is an assistant sports editor and writer for the Times Free Press. Ward has a long history in Chattanooga journalism. He actually wrote a bylined story for the Chattanooga News-Free Press as a third-grader. He Began working part-time there in 1968 and was hired full time in 1970. Ward now covers high school athletics, primarily football, wrestling and baseball and University of Tennessee at Chattanooga wrestling. Over a 40-year career, he has covered ...