For games of Oct. 12
(Coaches are invited to make nominations. Send an email to Ward Gossett at firstname.lastname@example.org by 6 p.m. each Saturday.)
* Baylor: George Porter led all rushers with 114 yards and teamed with a physical and stingy defense to led the Red Raiders' 24-7 win over Columbia Central.
* Bledsoe County: Connor Boynton and Holden Boynton each scored a touchdown in the Warriors' 36-20 loss to Grundy County.
* Brainerd: Sam Caffey scored two touchdowns as the Panthers forged an 18-7 lead over Central through two quarters. They wound up losing, though, 27-18.
* Boyd-Buchanan: Rance Harden ran for three scores including a final-quarter touchdown that put the Buccaneers up 35-14, and he gained 151 yards on 33 carries in a 35-21 win over South Pittsburg.
* Bradley Central: Clayton Steele may not do much more than kick, but his two field goals and three extra points provided the difference in the Bears' 27-21 victory over Walker Valley.
* Central: Michael Rhea had his best night of the season, rushing for 123 yards and scoring four touchdowns, one on a 30-yard pass from Dominique Dawson, in the Purple Pounders' 27-18 comeback win over Brainerd.
* Chattanooga Christian: With his running game limited to 25 yards, quarterback Levi Corbett went to the air, throwing for 235 yards and three TDs in the Chargers' 40-point loss to Signal Mountain.
* Cleveland: C.J. Bryant scored four TDs -- on a 95-yard kickoff return to open the game and runs of 56, 54 and 1 yard -- and finished with 137 yards on 17 carries in the Blue Raiders' 48-14 victory over Soddy-Daisy.
* Copper Basin: Dylan Boggs threw for 222 yards and four TDs and ran for 131 and another score, but the Cougars fell to Marion County, 49-41.
* Dalton: Kelvis Rhodes ran for 178 yards on 26 carries and scored both early TDs as the Catamounts broke on top and then matched scores with rival Northwest Whitfield in a 24-19 upset victory.
* East Hamilton: Logan Jackson ran for three TDs and 207 yards (29 carries) and the Hurricanes moved to 5-0 in District 6-AA with a 37-6 victory over Tyner.
* East Ridge: Torrey Hughes ran for a pair of touchdowns and topped the 100-yard mark, but the Pioneers fell to Hixson, 35-24.
* Grundy County: Josh Rhea had another outststanding night, throwing for two TDs and rushing for two as the Yellow Jackets outlasted Bledsoe County in a furious fourth quarter, 36-20.
* Hixson: Kedrick Bradley rushed for 180 yards and two TDs, added 45 receiving yards and then got an interception in the Wildcats' 35-24 win over East Ridge.
* Howard: Big Brandon Walters had nine tackles with a sack and a pass broken up, but the Hustlin' Tigers surrendered a second-quarter 14-0 lead and lost 21-14 to Red Bank.
* Lookout Valley: Jamal Jones had another 100-yard game with 116 in the Yellow Jackets' 24-0 loss to Silverdale Baptist.
* Marion County: Blake Zeman scored four TDs, rushing 26 times for 248 yards in the Warriors' 49-41 victory over Copper Basin.
* McCallie: Chad Toliver had three TDs and 145 rushing yards as the Blue Tornado overwhelmed Pope John Paul II 42-14.
* North Jackson: DaQwan Lowrance's two TDs and 71 receiving yards led a bevy of outstanding performances in the Chiefs' 55-7 win over Randolph.
* Northwest Whitfield: Silas Ledford threw two touchdown passes on a 222-yard night, but the Bruins fell to Dalton 24-19.
* Notre Dame: Kareem Orr scored two receiving TDs from 54 and 30 yards on Alex Darras passes and added a 16-yard run in the Irish's 41-7 win over Sequatchie County.
* Ooltewah: Desmond Pittman rushed for 228 yards on 19 carries with two TDs from the Owls' backfield and added three lost-yardage tackles and two sacks in their 33-6 win over Rhea County.
* Polk County: Zach Miller ran for all but 33 of his team's 444 yards and scored 36 of the Wildcats' 47 points in a big district win over Sequoyah, 47-21.
* Red Bank: In a three-TD, come-from-behind rally, Darrius Akridge scored two TDs and ran for 94 yards as the Lions successfully set up a Friday showdown with East Hamilton by beating stubborn Howard 21-14.
* Rhea County: While he was held out of the end zone by Ooltewah, the Golden Eagles' Desmond Sharp gained 76 yards on 14 carries (50 on one attempt) in a 33-6 loss to the Owls.
* Ridgeland: Star defensive back Vonn Bell had 271 all-purpose yards in the Panthers' win over Southeast Whitfield -- two carries for 76 yards and a TD, one TD catch covering 55 yards and an 80-yard punt return.
* Sequatchie County: Austin Lamb scored the Indians' TD in a 41-7 loss to Notre Dame.
* Signal Mountain: In his first extended playing time at running back, sophomore Kaleb Menzel turned in his first 100-yard rushing game for the Eagles, gaining 153 on 16 carries and scoring a second-quarter TD. The Eagles locked up the 7-AA title with their 61-21 victory at Chattanooga Christian.
* Silverdale Baptist: While four players scored for the Seahawks in their record-setting eighth win (24-0 over Lookout Valley), their leading rusher was Josh Rogers with 153 yards on 11 carries.
* Soddy-Daisy: Brett Standifer ran for 49 yards and passed for 142, but the Trojans were overwhelmed by Cleveland, 48-14.
* South Pittsburg: Demetric Johnson gained 254 yards on just 14 carries and scored two TDs in the Pirates' 35-21 loss to Boyd-Buchanan.
* Trion: Scotty Lively scored one of the Bulldogs' TDs and rushed for 85 yards in a 14-13 overtime loss to Mount Zion.
* Tyner: Joseph Sturkey scored the Rams' lone TD while gaining 41 yards in a 37-6 loss to East Hamilton.
* Walker Valley: Justin Ware gained 124 yards and scored two touchdowns, but the Mustangs fell 27-21 to county rival Bradley Central.
Ward Gossett is an assistant sports editor and writer for the Times Free Press. Ward has a long history in Chattanooga journalism. He actually wrote a bylined story for the Chattanooga News-Free Press as a third-grader. He Began working part-time there in 1968 and was hired full time in 1970. Ward now covers high school athletics, primarily football, wrestling and baseball and University of Tennessee at Chattanooga wrestling. Over a 40-year career, he has covered ...