The second-place Samford University women's soccer team tuned up for the Southern Conference tournament it will be hosting next week by defeating the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga 3-0 in the regular-season finale Wednesday night at Finley Stadium. Three different players scored for Samford (11-6-2, 8-1-2), which is coached by Todd Yelton, the brother of Lee University coach Matt Yelton. Another brother, Jay, is a Bulldogs assistant. For UTC (3-13-1, 1-10), freshman goalkeeper Lauren Thomas made 13 saves to raise her league-high total to 112.
• The Lee University soccer teams swept visiting Truett-McConnell in Southern States Athletic Conference play Wednesday, 5-0 for the NAIA's top-ranked Lady Flames and 4-1 for the Lee men. The Lee women (13-1-1, 10-0) wrapped up the league title, getting two goals from Leah Fortune, three assists from Amy Cochran and a goal and an assist from Ode Fulutudilu. Melin Miedermayer and Michelle Spangler had the other goals. Senior Sebastian Vallejo had two goals and classmate Sias Reyneke had one on Senior Night for the Flames. The other was an own-goal. Shoval Faller had an assist in the match for Lee (8-7-1, 4-6).
• The Bryan College men's soccer team won 2-1 over NCAA Division II member Carson-Newman on Wednesday night in Dayton. Daniel Branley and Alan Da Costa had goals for Bryan (11-3-1), which fell from 15th in last week's NAIA poll to one point out of 25th after a loss last Saturday, and Da Costa assisted Branley. Bryan's Lady Lions lost 5-0 at another Division II school, Lincoln Memorial.
• Covenant College beat Spelman 5-1 in Great South Athletic Conference women's soccer Wednesday at Decatur, Ga. Hannah Weichbrodt scored the first of four goals in the last 23 minutes of the first half for the Lady Scots (13-4-1, 8-1). Kara Lee, Katelyn Newsome and Amy Dykstra had the others and Mo Cross had the second-half goal. Bethany Logan was credited with two assists for Covenant and Anne Charlotte Strawbridge had one.
• The Covenant men's soccer team won Wednesday night at Sewanee, 3-2, in a nonconference NCAA Division III match. Matt Hudnut had two goals for Covenant (8-8-1) after David Taaffe scored the first. Ian Meredith and Hudson Brock had assists. Ford Emerson scored for Sewanee (4-11-2) off a feed from Samuel Edoung-Biyo and Brian Maloney closed the scoring with an unassited goal.
• The Tennessee Wesleyan women's team defeated NCAA Division II visitor Mars Hill, 2-1, Wednesday night at the McMinn Soccer Complex in Athens. Deanna Dawson scored the tie-breaking goal in the 87th minute off Britten Fandrich's second assist. Abigal Fannin had TWC's first goal.
• The Tennessee Temple men's soccer team dropped to 7-10 with a 5-1 loss Tuesday at Huntingdon, and the Temple women fell to 6-10-1 in Oglethorpe's 5-0 victory at Camp Jordan Park.
• Covenant College sophomore Trey Patterson finished sixth in the National Christian College Athletic Association men's golf tournament Wednesday at Panama City Beach, Fla., with a 1-under-par 215. He had a final-round 73 and by finishing sixth was selected first-team All-American, a first in school history.
• Cleveland High School graduate Kristen Pickett had 50 assists with 18 digs in Carson-Newman's 3-2 volleyball win Tuesday night at Mars Hill. Boyd-Buchanan alumna Rachel Harper had nine kills in the victory.
Get breaking news from the Times Free Press on Twitter at www.twitter.com/timesfreepress