SWEET BRIAR, Va. — The real celebration of National Field Hockey Day on Friday at Sweet Briar College was by the visiting Sewanee Tigers, who paraded to a 10-0 NCAA Division III victory behind three goals apiece from Anne Booke and Molly Kennedy. Sewanee (4-1) outshot Sweet Briar (0-4) 41-5 and had a 16-4 advantage in penalty corners (11-2 in the first half). Booke scored three times from Mary Kate McAlister assists in the first 27 minutes, interrupted at 13:00 by an unassisted goal from Kennedy, who also scored the day's last two. Maggie Boozer assisted on the next to last. Austen Zoutewelle, Tilden Davis and Janie Spilman also had unassisted scores and Warren Davis scored from a Mallory Grimm assist.
• Madison Dodd had 17 kills and 10 digs and Meg Riley had 13 kills with 22 assists and 10 digs as Miami of Ohio edged the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga volleyball team 25-17, 25-23, 18-25, 21-25, 15-11 at Indiana's tournament Friday in Bloomington, Ind. Sarah Batterton and Christina Teter made 15 and 14 kills and Lauren Gainer and Briana Reid added 10 and eight for UTC (6-7), while Bridget Camacho contributed 45 assists and 13 digs and Paula Passmore and Melissa Green had 20 and 15 digs.
• Irene Ojukwu had 14 kills on .440 hitting in Lee University's 25-22, 25-12, 25-14 Southern States Athletic Conference volleyball Friday in Cleveland. Marija Zelenovic added nine kills and Camil Martinez had 31 assists for Lee (9-5, 2-0), while Libby Peigen and Sarah Davis were the digs leaders with 11 and eight.
• The Tennessee Temple University volleyball team won 25-12, 25-12, 25-13 over Baptist College of Florida on Friday in the Pensacola (Fla.) Christian College tournament. The Lady Crusaders then fell to 3-9 for the season by losing 25-8, 26-24, 25-12 to the host Lady Eagles.
• Rachel Harper from Boyd-Buchanan shared the Carson-Newman kills lead with seven and led in digs with eight in a 25-23, 25-4, 25-20 home volleyball loss to 9-2 Palm Beach Atlantic on Friday, and Kristen Pickett from Cleveland had a team-high 17 assists.
• Shaun Webster and Johnny Fann scored scored for Tennessee Temple in a 2-1 men's soccer win Friday at Crown College, and Liz Adams from Sale Creek -- and the Hixson High School girls' team -- had four goals as the Lady Crusaders won 10-0 at Johnson University. Both host schools are in the Knoxville area. Rebecca Whiteside had a goal and five assists for the Temple women (1-3-1), who had goals also from Beth Bontekoe, Melissa Guerrero, Brenda Velazquez and Courtney Born. The Temple men are 3-4.
• Samuel Edoung-Biyo and Ford Emerson scored in the 34th and 36th minutes and the Sewanee men's soccer team held on for a 2-1 victory Friday at Emory & Henry. Edoung-Biyo scored off a loose ball on a play begun by a pass into the box by Chris Haberstroh. Emerson outran two defenders before firing his shot just inside the near post. The winning Tigers had a 5-3 edge in corner kicks but were outshot 14-12.
• Lauren Carelli, Chattanooga's one player in the BullFrog USTA Southern Junior Cup 12-under tournament going on this weekend at the Champions Club, won 6-3, 6-2 and lost 6-2, 1-6, 10-7 in singles matches Friday. She was part of a 9-8 (7-4) girls' doubles win and an 8-6 mixed doubles loss for Team Venus, which won enough Friday to be in the top Gold Division today and Sunday with Team Agassi (coached by McCallie graduate Charlie Ramsay) and Team Roddick. The tournament includes three boys and three girls from each of the Southern states, although the teams are not set up by states. The Champions Club will host the Southern Junior Cup for 14-, 16- and 18-unders next weekend.
• The Chattanooga Rugby Club is playing Covenant College at 1 p.m. today in the club's first game at newly renovated Montague Park, and the public is invited to attend. There is no charge. Spectators are welcome to bring folding chairs.
• The Lady Moc RBI Club, the booster group for the UTC softball team, will meet at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Jim Frost Stadium press box, and the public is invited. Coach Frank Reed will discuss the Lady Mocs' fall practice and exhibition schedule and introduce the new players for the 2013 season.
Get breaking news from the Times Free Press on Twitter at www.twitter.com/timesfreepress
related articles »
Sewanee’s Shawna Laurendine was voted the Southern Athletic Association’s first volleyball coach of the year for directing her first set ...
After losing to the NAIA's first- and third-ranked volleyball teams Friday, the sixth-ranked host of the Lee University Showcase thumped ...
The Southern Conference championship cross country meet will be held today at the Trophy Lakes course with the men's 8-kilometer ...
Down two goals at halftime Tuesday at Georgetown (Ky.) College, the Tennessee Wesleyan men's soccer team got even with goals ...