published Tuesday, April 2nd, 2013

Kitchen fire severely burns Chattanooga woman

A kitchen fire left a Chattanooga woman severely burned Tuesday evening, according to a news release.

The 41-year-old woman tried to carry a flaming pot of grease to the front door at her home at The Reserve at Creekside apartments in the 7800 block of East Brainerd Road.

Chattanooga firefighters arrived shortly after 5 p.m. Lt. David Cowden with Quint 21 said a neighbor had used a portable fire extinguisher to put out the fire before firefighters arrived on the scene.

According to Capt. Anthony Moore with the Fire Investigation Division, the woman was heating up a pot of grease on her stove when it overheated and burst into flames. She tried to carry the pot out the front door. Captain Moore believes someone held the door open for her, but that she got distracted by the flames and collided with the door, spilling the hot grease all over her.

The woman’s two children were home with her but were uninjured.

She was transported to Erlanger hospital, but Moore said she was being airlifted to the Joseph M. Still Burn Center in Augusta, Ga.

No further details on the woman’s identity or condition are known at this time.

about Staff Report...

Get breaking news from the Times Free Press on Twitter at www.twitter.com/timesfreepress or by visiting us on Facebook or Twitter at the right:

Other National Articles

videos »         

photos »         

e-edition »

advertisement
advertisement

Find a Business

400 East 11th St., Chattanooga, TN 37403
General Information (423) 756-6900
Copyright, Permissions, Terms & Conditions, Privacy Policy, Ethics policy - Copyright ©2014, Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc. All rights reserved.
This document may not be reprinted without the express written permission of Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc.