The Volkswagen assembly plant in Chattanooga is one of eight finalists for this year’s Engineering Excellence Award from the American Council of Engineering Companies.
The $1 billion plant, which began making Passat cars two years ago, was nominated for setting “a new standard for sustainable engineering achievement.” The VW facility in Chattanooga is the first LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Platinum certified auto plant in the world.
Other nominees for the annual engineering honor include:
• Marlins Park; Miami, Fla., by Walter P Moore, for its retractable roof that can withstand hurricane force winds.
• National Synchrotron Light Source II, Long Island, N.Y., by HDR Engineering for its research facility allowing scientists to view a single atom with greater clarity to advance research in biology, chemistry and medicine.
• Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts; Kansas City, Mo., by Arup for new concert and theater complex with optimal acoustics.
• Catskill-Delaware Ultraviolet Disinfection Facility in Mount Pleasant, N.Y. by Hazen and Sawyer/CDM Smith for the world’s largest ultraviolet disinfection facility.
• Lake Champlain Bridge Replacement in Crown Point, N.Y., by HNTB Corporation. The 402-long bridge was designed in just 10 weeks to replace an 80-year-old deteriorating bridge.
• FDR Four Freedoms Park in Roosevelt Island, N.Y., by Langan Engineering and Environmental Services, Inc. to honor President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s historic 1941 Four Freedoms Speech.
• Truss Bridge Roll-In at 130th & Torrence Avenue in Chicago by Alfred Benesch & Company. The steel superstructure was completely constructed next to its deteriorating predecessor, transported more than 800 feet, and then rolled into its permanent place.
The winner will be announced at the “Academy Awards" of the engineering industry next Tuesday in Washington D.C.
Dave Flessner is the business editor for the Times Free Press. A journalist for 35 years, Dave has been business editor and projects editor for the Chattanooga Times Free Press, city editor for The Chattanooga Times, business and county reporter for the Chattanooga Times, correspondent for the Lansing State Journal and Ingham County News in Michigan, staff writer for the Hastings Daily Tribune in Nebraska, and news director for WCBN-FM in Michigan. Dave, a native ...