published Tuesday, April 30th, 2013

Family of seven homeless in Chattanooga after cooking fire

A family of seven is homeless after a kitchen fire at their Chattanooga home last night.

Everyone in the house was safely out when firefighters arrived around 7:30 p.m.

Firefighters quickly extinguished the flames, and damage was contained to the kitchen. No injuries were reported.

Family members said a child left French fries cooking on the stove unattended, according to a news release. When the grease in the pan ignited, someone threw some water on it, making the fire worse.

Since power had to be disconnected from the house, the family has to stay elsewhere.

about Staff Report...

Get breaking news from the Times Free Press on Twitter at www.twitter.com/timesfreepress or by visiting us on Facebook or Twitter at the right:

videos »         

photos »         

e-edition »

advertisement
advertisement

Find a Business

400 East 11th St., Chattanooga, TN 37403
General Information (423) 756-6900
Copyright, Permissions, Terms & Conditions, Privacy Policy, Ethics policy - Copyright ©2014, Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc. All rights reserved.
This document may not be reprinted without the express written permission of Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc.