Chattanooga’s North Shore district is throwing a block party to showcase its shops, restaurants and views of downtown.
Presented by the NorthShore Merchants Collective, the event runs all day Friday and Saturday, Aug. 2-3. In addition to special offers and discounts from merchants, visitors will find activities such as jewelry, makeup and hairstyle demonstrations, artist meet-and-greets, tarot card readings, caricature drawings, food and wine tastings and fitness workouts.
The schedule is crowded with events, which you can find at northshorechattanooga.com. In the meantime, here are five we like.
• Show Us Your Collectibles: Dealers at Knitting Mill Antiques will share their expertise and may be able to tell you an approximate value. (11 a.m.-5 p.m. Friday-Saturday.)
• Progressive Dinner: For $50, you get to sample the specialties at Heaven & Ale, FoodWorks, Sushi Nabe, Gigi’s, Milk & Honey and Brix Nouveau. (6-10 p.m. Friday, starting at the new beer crafter, Heaven & Ale, 304 Cherokee Blvd.)
• Learning Express puppet show: Here’s one especially for the kids that is always a hit. (11 a.m. Saturday in the courtyard at 2 NorthShore.)
• Back-to-School Fashion Show: See the latest fall fashions from 10 North Shore shops, while enjoying light refreshments and a cash bar. All guests receive a take-home gift. (1 p.m. Saturday at Chattanooga Theatre Centre, 400 River St.)
• Concert by The Communicators: Enjoy a family-friendly set by this ’90s cover band. Bring a picnic or purchase food and drinks from FoodWorks, Good Dog or Milk & Honey. (8-9:30 p.m. Saturday on the lawn of the Chattanooga Theatre Centre.