1 dead, 2 hurt in crash
WHITWELL, Tenn. — The Tennessee Highway Patrol said alcohol and drugs may have been factors in a one-car crash that claimed a life early Sunday in Whitwell.
Eric Gill, 39, of New Hope, Ala., was a passenger in a 1995 Saturn that went off Ketner’s Mill Road in a curve and hit a tree shortly after 1 a.m. Sunday, according to the THP report.
The driver, Andrew Wilbourn Jr., 22, of Whitwell, and passenger Shyanne Jones, 18, of Dalton, Ga., were taken to Erlanger hospital in Chattanooga. None of the victims was wearing a safety belt, and Jones and Gill were partially ejected from the car, the report stated.
The investigating officer said alcohol and drug tests were requested and that criminal charges are pending.
Drive-by flu shots available soon
DALTON, Ga. — North Georgians in a hurry can get their annual flu shots this year without leaving their cars. The North Georgia Health District will offer drive-by shots in September and October. Regular flu vaccine and the high-dose form of Fluzone vaccine for people 65 and older will be offered. Regular shots are $22, and Fluzone is $50. Cash, checks, Medicare, Medicaid and state Cigna and state United Healthcare Insurance will be accepted. Here’s the schedule:
Fannin: Sept. 23, 9 a.m.–5 p.m., The Farmers Market, East First Street, Blue Ridge; 706-632-3023
Gilmer: Oct. 3, 8 a.m.–4 p.m., First United Methodist Church of Ellijay, 75 McCutchen St., Ellijay; 706-635-4363
Murray: Sept. 17, 8 a.m.–6 p.m., St. Toribio Romo Catholic Church, 2402 Highway 76, Chatsworth; 706-695-4585
Whitfield: Sept. 18, 8:30 a.m.–5:30 p.m., Northwest Georgia Trade and Convention Center, 2211 Dug Gap Battle Road, Dalton; 706-226-2621
To learn more, contact your county health department or visit www.nghd.org.
‘Herbal incense’ may be deadly
ATLANTA — The Georgia Department of Public Health is warning medical providers about a product marketed as “herbal incense,” bath salts or roll-your-own tobacco that has hospitalized at least eight people who ingested it.
The product, called Crazy Clown or Herbal Madness incense, contains a neurotoxin that can render someone motionless or unconscious and cause severe cardiac problems, according to a news release. Some people become agitated, combative or unusually strong. Lesser symptoms include vomiting, weakness, hypertension and cardiac abnormalities.
Users typically smoke or vaporize and inhale the drug, the release stated.
The health department said anyone who has used the substance should seek immediate medical help or call the Georgia Poison Control Center at 800-222-1222.
Get breaking news from the Times Free Press on Twitter at www.twitter.com/timesfreepress
related articles »
Massive re-enactments mark 150th anniversary
You know the history, but this weekend, you'll be able to feel it. The boom of cannons. The clash of ...
The Dalton Police Department is asking for the public's help with identifying suspects involved in the theft of a wallet ...
There are some notable changes among the 80 listings in today's Times Free Press guide to fall festivals and fairs.