Chattanooga Mayor Andy Berke was among new mayors from across the country who met Friday with President Barack Obama to talk about ways the Obama administration can actively support cities' efforts to create jobs and help middle-class families.
"This is a great opportunity to highlight the important assets that create local jobs and strengthen Chattanooga's economy," Berke said a news release. "From our resurgence in manufacturing to our spirit of entrepreneurism spurred by the gigabit infrastructure, we are a city full of opportunity. I am excited to join a handful of mayors from across the country to discuss the innovative ways we can build upon our successes."
Friday's meeting with mayors complements the Obama administration's effort "to partner with mayors working to implement policies that lead to high-paying, high-skill jobs in their communities," a White House news release stated. "Mayors understand that smart investments in things like American manufacturing and infrastructure help provide good jobs for middle-class families while providing a foundation for long-term economic success."
In addition to Berke, the following mayors and mayors-elect attended the meeting:
• Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti
• St. Petersburg, Fla., Mayor-elect Rick Kriseman
• Boston Mayor-elect Martin Walsh
• Detroit Mayor-elect Mike Duggan
• Minneapolis Mayor- elect Betsy Hodges
• Jersey City, N.J., Mayor Steven Fulop
• New York, N.Y., Mayor- elect Bill de Blasio
• Rochester, N.Y., Mayor- elect Lovely Warren
• Charlotte, N.C., Mayor- elect Patrick Cannon
• Greensboro, N.C., Mayor Nancy Vaughan
• Cincinnati Mayor John Cranley
• Toledo, Ohio, Mayor- elect D. Michael Collins
• Harrisburg, Pa., Mayor- elect Eric Papenfuse
• Pittsburgh Mayor-elect Bill Peduto
• Seattle Mayor-elect Ed Murray.
Get breaking news from the Times Free Press on Twitter at www.twitter.com/timesfreepress or by visiting us on Facebook or Twitter at the right:
related articles »
Chattanooga Mayor Andy Berke's choice to be the city's next police chief could be the most important decision of his ...
Chattanooga Mayor Andy Berke is among new mayors from across the country who are meeting with President Barack Obama today ...
As he began his speech in Chattanooga, President Obama recognized Amazon’s general manager, Mike Thomas, and company vice president Dave ...
On day 94 in office, Chattanooga Mayor Andy Berke stood before a packed Rotary Club crowd and took credit for ...