In this June 4, 2007, file photo, tennis champion Billie Jean King is introduced during a town hall conversation hosted by the group Women for Hillary in New York. The White House says King and U.S. Ambassador to Russia Michael McFaul will join the opening ceremonies of the Winter Olympics next year in Sochi, Russia.Photo by Associated Press /Chattanooga Times Free Press.
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
- WHO WON THE MEGA MILLIONS JACKPOT
Lucky ticket holders in San Jose, Calif. and Georgia will share the $638m jackpot.
- OBAMA SELECTS GAY ATHLETES FOR SOCHI DELEGATION
The move sends a clear signal to Russia about its treatment of homosexuals.
- WILL THE FED END ECONOMIC STIMULUS
Not yet, say most analysts, as chairman Ben Bernanke wraps up his final Reserve policy meeting today.
- COMPROMISE BUDGET SET TO PASS SENATE
President Obama could sign the bill today after a rare display of bipartisanship wraps up the spending package.
- WHY ASTRONAUTS COULD BE WORKING CHRISTMAS DAY
NASA has ordered a series of urgent spacewalks to fix a broken cooling line at the International Space Station.
- UN FEARS 500 KILLED IN SOUTH SUDAN
The fighting is believed to be "largely along ethnic lines"; The United States orders citizens to leave immediately.
- WHAT TRIGGERED A DIPLOMATIC ROW BETWEEN INDIA AND THE US
An Indian diplomat was strip-searched after her arrest for filing false visa information on her New York housekeeper.
- MORE TYPHOON AID FOR PHILIPPINES
Secretary of State John Kerry pledges an additional $25 million of relief while touring the devastated city of Tacloban.
- HOW A BLIND MAN SURVIVED BEING HIT BY A SUBWAY TRAIN
The New York City man says his guide dog barked and tried to keep him from falling while witnesses called for help.
- FACEBOOK BLAMED FOR PIER PLUNGE
A tourist glued to her Facebook feed was rescued after falling off a jetty in Australia.