• Name: Good Fortune Soap
• Owner: Jennifer Strain
• Location: 2644 Broad St., Chattanooga
• Opened: Strain opened a storefront in late November and has been in business since 2006.
• Service: All things green, clean, body and home
• Staff: 4
• How it got started: Strain launched Good Fortune Soap in 2006 with a focus on wholesale, online sales and farmer's markets. She uses her own recipes and brews natural soaps, lotions, lip balms, body scrubs, room sprays -- all sorts of home products. Her new storefront is now headquarters for everything, she said.
"It's wonderful," she said. "For the first time we have one place where we make it, sell it and ship it."
The storefront has allowed Strain to expand her product line -- she now offers customers the chance to create their own custom products in store -- and grow the business into other venues. She plans to hire a massage therapist and offer massages in a separate room adjacent to the store. She envisions the store as a place for parties, bridal showers and get-togethers.
• Initial investment: $15,000 to open the storefront
• Five-year goal: Strain would like to franchise out to other cities and establish new shops throughout the Southeast.
• Web site: Goodfortunesoap.com.
• Phone number: 423-473-6727
Compiled by Shelly Bradbury, who may be reached at 757-6525 or at email@example.com.
Shelly Bradbury covers police and crime in Chattanooga and Hamilton County for the Times Free Press. She's been with the paper since 2012, working first as an intern and then as a business reporter. She is from Houghton, New York, and graduated from Huntington University in Huntington, Indiana, with a bachelor’s degree in journalism and minor in management. Before moving to Tennessee, Shelly previously interned with The Goshen News, The Sandusky Register and The Mint ...