Chattanooga firefighters responded to two fires Wednesday night which displaced several families, said Chattanooga Fire Public Information Officer Bruce Garner.
Just after 7 p.m. firefighters were called to an apartment fire at 1207 Duncan Avenue where one of the residents fell asleep and left grease unattended on the stove.
The fire was contained to the kitchen, Garner said. However, because electrical power had to be disconnected to the house, which is divided into several apartments, six adults and one child were displaced.
Firefighters responded to a second fire at East Lake Court housing projects at 2545 Sixth Avenue. A 6-year-old boy was playing with a cigarette lighter and set the bed linens on fire at 7:35 p.m.
Two adults and one child were displaced after firefighters contained the blaze to the bedroom. The estimated loss is $5,500, according to the release.
Volunteers with the American Red Cross provided assistance to all families displaced in both fires.
Get breaking news from the Times Free Press on Twitter at www.twitter.com/timesfreepress or by visiting us on Facebook or Twitter at the right:
related articles »
A fire destroyed an East Lake home early this morning and left a family with five children homeless, according to ...
David Hirsch watched as fire churned through his apartment building, watched as firefighters tore into the walls and ceiling trying ...
A Chattanooga family is homeless following an apartment fire that started with a cigarette.
A Chattanooga family is homeless following an apartment fire started with a cigarette this afternoon.