* Southern Jesters Comedy Show: Cloud Springs Deli, 4097 Cloud Springs Road, 6-7:45 p.m., $5. Family-friendly improv comedy group performs. 596-9102.
* Birding: Meet at St. Elmo Bi-Lo, 3801 Tennessee Ave., at 8 a.m. to car caravan to McLemore Cove in Walker County, Ga. Free three-hour session to look for Northern Harrier, red-tailed hawks, woodpeckers and blackbirds. Bring binoculars and sack lunch with beverage. 322-7866.
* Childbirth education class: Erlanger East, Gunbarrel Road, 5:30 p.m., $125, series of classes for expectant parents. Second series starts Saturday, Jan. 12. To register for either, call 778-LINK.
* Documentary screening: Girls Preparatory School, 205 Island Ave., 6 p.m., free. Andrew Beck Grace, director, filmmaker and producer of "Eating Alabama," screens his award-winning film about Southern farmers and food sustainability. 634-3475.
* Executive Women International: Doubletree Hotel, 5:30 p.m. social hour, 6 p.m. dinner and presentation by Darin Wright of Elea Blake cosmetics, $20 for guests of EWI members, $25 all others. www.ewi.chattanooga.org.
* Chattanooga Stamp Club: Hickory Valley Christian Church, 6605 Shallowford Road, 6:30 p.m. doors open, 7:30 p.m. meeting with election of officers. Program is video from the American Topical Association, "Integrating the U.S. Navy." Visitors welcome. 344-7849.
* Sandhill Crane Cruise: Sale Creek Marina, 3900 Lee Pike, Soddy-Daisy, 9:30 a.m., $25-$39. Join members of the Tennessee Aquarium for a cruise aboard the Blue Moon. Tour includes barbecue lunch, naturalists to lead discussions. Reservations required, limited space available. 800-262-0695.
* Sandhill crane migration: Depart from Starbucks on Hamilton Place Boulevard at 10 a.m. to car caravan to Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge. View cranes' migration and possibly see bald eagles. Free; bring bag lunch and hot beverage in a vacuum flask. Wear warm clothing. Reservations required; limited to 40 people. 322-7866.
Susan Palmer Pierce is a reporter and columnist in the Life department. She began her journalism career as a summer employee 1972 for the News Free Press, typing bridal announcements and photo captions. She became a full-time employee in 1980, working her way up to feature writer, then special sections editor, then Lifestyle editor in 1995 until the merge of the NFP and Times in 1999. She was honored with the 2007 Chattanooga Woman of ...