• Community line dance workshop: Allemande Hall, 7400 Standifer Gap Road, 10 a.m.-2 p.m., $5. Beginner's class teaches popular line dances to a variety of music. No experience or partner required. 309-6842.
• Low-country boil: Tennessee National Guard Armory, Highway 41, Monteagle, Tenn., 4-7 p.m. CST, $15, benefits Monteagle Mountain Chamber of Commerce, Friends of the South Cumberland and Monteagle Food Bank. Shrimp, sausage and veggies cooked in Cajun seasoning; boil without shrimp sold for guests with seafood allergies. 931-924-5353.
• Sandhill Crane Festival: Birchwood Elementary School, 5623 Highway 60, Hamilton, Tenn. 8 a.m.-6 p.m., free. Music and storytelling festival with environmental education information in addition to chance to view thousands of migrating sandhill cranes. Event continues Sunday, same hours. 618-1238.
• Complementary Health Education Organization: Nutrition World, 6201 Lee Highway, 2-4 p.m., visitors welcome. Lynne Forrest will speak on "Reality Formula for Kids and Adults" and Dr. Rick Pimental-Habib will present "Living Your Highest Self," using excerpts from his "Shrink Rap" columns and books. 629-1935.
• Hearing Loss Association: Ronald McDonald House community room, 200 Central Ave., 2 p.m., visitors welcome. Program is "Communication Access for Varied Settings." www.hearingchattanooga.org.
• Joint Music Club meeting: UTC Cadek Hall, 850 Oak St., 2:30 p.m., free, visitors welcome. Combined meeting of the MacDowell and Chattanooga music clubs with program by Jay Craven and Jim Martin, clarinet and piano; Bruce Ashton, piano; Floy Wang, viola; Margaret Ann Randolph and Helen Stout, piano duo; Jim Bailiff, tenor; Laurie Eismeier, soprano; and Jeff Roueche, oboe. A reception will follow the performance.
• Surgery seminar: Bariatric and Metabolic Surgery Center, Erlanger East, 1755 Gunbarrel Road, 6 p.m., free but registration required. Any resident who is overweight or with health problems related to obesity is invited to learn more about bariatric and metabolic surgery. 778-5465.
• Chatta-Con: Chattanooga Choo Choo, 1400 Market St. Convention for fans of speculative fiction includes authors, artists, entertainment, panel discussions and live action games. Three-day ticket: $50. chattacon.org.
Susan Palmer Pierce is a reporter and columnist in the Life department. She began her journalism career as a summer employee 1972 for the News Free Press, typing bridal announcements and photo captions. She became a full-time employee in 1980, working her way up to feature writer, then special sections editor, then Lifestyle editor in 1995 until the merge of the NFP and Times in 1999. She was honored with the 2007 Chattanooga Woman of ...
related articles »
CHATTACON — Chattanooga Choo Choo, 1400 Market St. Convention for fans of speculative fiction includes authors, artists, entertainment, panel discussions ...
LEISURE DINNER WITH DARWIN — Rhea County Welcome Center, 107 Main St., Dayton, Tenn. Storyteller and science teacher Brian “Fox” ...