• Name: River Canyon Adventures
• Owners: Jesse Gaylor and Ray Gorrell
• Location: 21726 River Canyon Road
• Opened: 2012
• Service: This riverside business rents kayaks and stand-up paddle boards and offers tours on the Tennessee River. River Canyon Adventures maintains a fleet of 26 single kayaks, five double kayaks and six paddle boards. The site has gas grills and a pavilion for customers, and the river route includes a rope swing and a volleyball net.
• Prices: $35 for three hours, plus $10 per person for a boat pickup
• Staff: Three
• How it got started: College student Jesse Gaylor started the business with his father as a way to make some money during the summer months. Last year, the team put about 880 people on the water and decided to invest in a larger fleet for this season.
• Initial investment: $6,000
• Two-year goal: The team plans to keep the business up and running at least until Gaylor finishes college in two years. In the meantime, they'd like to start a downtown location in addition to their site on River Canyon Road.
• Website: rivercanyonadventure.com
• Phone number: 423-987-1711 or 423-488-1345
-- Compiled by Shelly Bradbury, who may be reached at 757-6525 or at email@example.com
Shelly Bradbury joined the Times Free Press as a business reporter in January 2013, after starting with the paper as a general assignment intern in July 2012. She is from Houghton, New York, and graduated from Huntington University in Huntington, Indiana, with a bachelor’s degree in journalism and minor in management. Before moving to Tennessee, Shelly previously interned with The Goshen News, The Sandusky Register and The Mint Hill Times. Outside the newsroom, Shelly enjoys ...
related articles »
When RiverRocks was created in 2010, the broad plan for founders Mike and Stormy McGauley was to highlight healthy living ...
We’ve been saying it for the last three years, but my fiancé Hal and I swear 2013 will be the ...
The store sells stand-up paddleboards, rents them and offers guided trips throughout the area.