published Thursday, June 20th, 2013

911 recording reveals last minutes of man's life before he was run over


This story is featured in today's TimesFreePress newscast.

WARNING! This audio contains language which may be upsetting to listeners. Please exercise caution.

Audio clip

911 Call

"I need a police car right now," Horace Morgan shouted to the 911 dispatcher at 6:14 a.m. on June 10.

Six minutes later, Morgan lay dead.

The call, recorded by the Whitfield County 911 center and released on Wednesday, reveals the last minutes of Morgan's life.

The rampage that resulted in his killing began with a disturbance at a Dalton-area McDonald's.

Around 6:08 a.m. that day a woman called 911 on her way to work to report a man was running along Walnut Avenue swinging a baseball bat at another man.

The man with the bat -- later identified by police as Frank Bozzie -- then pulled his former girlfriend out of a truck by her hair as she tried to hug him, apparently to deflect his anger, another witness said.

The suspect then was seen charging away from the McDonald's in his pickup.

At least five people called dispatchers to report the same scene.

Police said the suspect then drove the six tenths of a mile to Morgan's home on Gay Street, where the unidentified woman had been staying in recent days with her new boyfriend and her two children.

The suspect barged into Morgan's home waving the bat.

Screaming for the suspect to leave, Morgan dialed 911.

"I need a police car right now," Morgan told the dispatcher. "Someone broke into my house, threatened me. You get back. You get back," he screamed at the suspect.

Whitfield County Sheriff's Captain Ricky Swiney said two officers initially were dispatched to the disturbance at McDonald's. Records show the officers were on the way at 6:10, two minutes after the first call was received.

Several minutes later officers were told to alter their route to Gay Street after Morgan dialed for help.

"That's a pretty good response time for the number of cars we have," Swiney said.

The suspect ran outside and jumped into his truck.

Morgan followed, shouting, "I got the sheriff's office coming."

"Here he is officer. Oh ... damn you. Oh ... damn you."

Morgan's phone goes silent.

When police arrived at 6:20 a.m., they found Morgan dead. Bozzie ran him down with his pickup, then fled, police said.

An hour later, a sheriff's deputy found Bozzie walking down Tibbs Bridge Road. He didn't resist arrest.

He has been charged with murder, aggravated assault and battery.

Contact staff writer Joy Lukachick at or 423-757-6659.

about Joy Lukachick Smith...

Joy Lukachick Smith is the city government reporter for the Chattanooga Times Free Press. Since 2009, she's covered crime and court systems in North Georgia and rural Tennessee, landed an exclusive in-prison interview with a former cop convicted of killing his wife, exposed impropriety in an FBI-led, child-sex online sting and exposed corruption in government agencies. Earlier this year, Smith won the Malcolm Law Memorial Award for Investigative Reporting. She also won first place in ...

Other National Articles

videos »         

photos »         

e-edition »

400 East 11th St., Chattanooga, TN 37403
General Information (423) 756-6900
Copyright, Permissions, Terms & Conditions, Privacy Policy, Ethics policy - Copyright ©2014, Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc. All rights reserved.
This document may not be reprinted without the express written permission of Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc.